Delayed Labor Day Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Braz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2017
Indiana
First a confession - I don't like ribs. Or so I maintained for years after having truly bad ones when I first tried them at a restaurant long ago. SWAMBO convinced me to try ribs again and that my first experience was just bad luck. So on the "if you want it done right do it yourself" theory I decided to give it a go using the knowledge gained on this forum.

We had a rack of St. Louis style ribs in the freezer for about a year and finally decided to do them for the Labor Day cook, but other duties got in the way and delayed the cook till Wednesday.

_DSC0184.jpg

Trimmed, membrane removed and cut in half to fit the smoker rack.
_DSC0186-2.jpg

Gave them a sprinkling of kosher salt and about an hour rest before adding Jeff's Original Rub.
_DSC0188.jpg

Into the smoker at 225F, using Amazen Pitmasters Choice pellets in the mailbox (love the mailbox mod and the PID controller).
_DSC0191.jpg

I did not wrap them at any point during the cook and, following SmokinAl's advice took then to around 195 I/T (I sort of estimated a rough average of the readings I was getting on the Thermapen). At that point I glazed them with Sweet Baby Ray's Original straight out of the bottle (no need to reinvent the wheel) and let them go for about another hour. An hour might seem a long time but it took quite a bit of that time for the smoker to recover the heat lost while I was swabbing on the sauce. In all it was about a six hour cook. A short rest while SWMBO finished up the sides.
_DSC0192.jpg

And, finally, the plate.
_DSC0196.jpg

I will no longer claim to not like ribs. These were wonderful, good bite and great flavor. Neither the rub nor the sauce was overpowering letting the meat shine while adding just that little bit more. Even SWMBO was impressed, and that is no easy task. Thanks to the Forum members for the wealth on knowledge freely shared.

Looks awesome and now I am thinking of laying out a rack. SmokinAl has it nailed on temp.

look good to me, nothing like your own smoked ribs, got two racks in the smoker as we speak

Great looking ribs! LIKE!

The vast majority of restaurant rib racks in California are a waste of money; tasteless and mushy. They are often braised, stored until ordered, then rubbed, sauced (if requested), and broiled for the table. Ugh.

Home smoked is the only way to go.

Great Looking Ribs, Braz!!!
Nice Plate too!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear. The color rendition on the plate picture is more yellow than real life. I need to work on my Lightroom editing skills.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky