Deer Live and heart sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bikforfun

Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana Area
I am thinking about using this recipe for some deer Live and heart that I want to use to make some sausage. What are the thoughts of this group?

I made a lovely Braunschweiger Liver sausage last year and intend to do it again very soon. Recipe calls for pork liver and pork snouts, however I used venison liver, pork liver, venison heart, and beef tongue. 

For 10 lbs sausage- 
2 cups non fat dry milk or soy protein concentrate 
5 Tb salt 
2 Tb onion powder 
2 Tb powdered dextrose 
2 tsp insta cure No. 1 
1 Tb ground white pepper 
1/2 tsp ground cloves 
1/2 tsp ground allspice 
1/2 tsp rubbed sage 
1/2 tsp ground marjoram 
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg 
1/2 tsp ground ginger 
5 lbs pork liver 
5 lbs pork snout 
(substitute 10 lbs organ meats) 

grind all meats through a 1/4" plate several times. Mix all ingredients. Stuff into casings. 

place Braunschweiger into cooker with water pre heated to 180F. Water temp will drop to 160 - 165. Continue cooking until internal temp reaches 152. After cooking place sausage into container filled with ice and water and cool as rapidly as possible for 1 -2 hours. 

Remove from water hang on sticks. You may shower Braunschweiger with hot water for 30 seconds to remove surface grease. Hang at room temp for 1 hour or until dry. Remove to 115-120 F pre heated smoker. Apply heavy smoke at this temp for approx 3 hours or until desired color is obtained. After smoking shower with cool water for about 5 minutes. Let dry and remove to fridge overnight. 

From Rytek Kutas' Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing 

Now that sounds good! I love me some Braunschweiger! Show us some pics when you make it.

thumb1.gif

Since your using venision; I suggest soaking the heart and liver in a salt water solution to pull out the blood. IMO this will help pull out any game/minerally taste that can turn folks off.

I will generally do my heart in a salt solution 1/4 cup or less salt, water to cover and let soak 24-48 hours. Change water out a few times after first initial soaking in cold water solution.

After that; blood is gone and mineral taste is much less.

Definitely has a blood sausage look to it.

Also, it looks good.

Do you think it might have benefited from some fat like found in the snouts?

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky