Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned and Sauteed in Butter)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned and Sautéed in Butter)

Sooooo---I never used any cure on a heart before. All we ever did with the hearts, if they weren't blown apart, was soak in salt water for a few hours, rinse, season, and sauté.
The only thing I did different this time was to soak in TQ & Brown sugar for 24 hours.
My mission wasn't really to cure the heart meat, because I wasn't going to smoke it low & slow.

The rest is explained above each picture.

Thanks for looking,
Bear

One Fresh Heart from a small 95 pound Doe:
DSC04700.jpg

Cut in quarters & remove all but red meat:
DSC04703.jpg

Slice into thin strips:
DSC04705.jpg

Weigh & measure proper amount of TQ:
DSC04706.jpg

Coat slices with TQ and an equal amount of Brown Sugar:
DSC04708.jpg

Put in Ziplock bag for 24 hours, flipping once:
DSC04710.jpg

Rinse, dry, and season with CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder:
DSC04713.jpg

Throw in hot pan with butter:
DSC04719.jpg

Just about done:
DSC04721.jpg

A little chewy, but awesome flavor!!!
DSC04723.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckeyedude
Looks good bear. We usually do the same, soak and cook method. Usually at camp. Cured and smoked would probably be good!
Thanks Sailor!!!

And yes, I'll be curing & smoking the next heart I get. Since I'll be doing it low & slow, I'll give it a full cure.

This one was only cured for flavor.

Bear

Looks really good Bear, can't beat a young doe.  Could you use a tenderizer with the TQ to tenderize the meat a little.  Sounds like the next one might be spot on though.

Tom

Looks really good Bear, can't beat a young doe.  Could you use a tenderizer with the TQ to tenderize the meat a little.  Sounds like the next one might be spot on though.

Tom
Thanks Mr T,

I always tried to stay away from MSG, but low & slow might do it.

Bear
Nice job on your heart! You always do a nice job with your threads by explaining everything.
Thanks Woodcutter!!

I don't only make my step  by steps easy for others to follow------I make them easy for me to follow too!!

Bear

that's a great use of the heart!!  I baked a couple hearts and a liver then sliced into 1/4" strips and froze to give to dogs as treats.  why should the coyotes get all the good stuff??

Looks-Great.gif

that's a great use of the heart!!  I baked a couple hearts and a liver then sliced into 1/4" strips and froze to give to dogs as treats.  why should the coyotes get all the good stuff??

Looks-Great.gif
LOL---When I was a kid, we had a great dog----"Mitzi", a mongrel, looked like a big fox!!

When we took her rabbit hunting, she would run back & forth checking out every little grass hump.

Then when she kicked up a rabbit, and one of us shot it, she'd run over to my Dad.

He'd immediately gut it, remove the liver, cut the gall out of it, and hold it in his hand.

Mitzi would suck the raw rabbit liver up, and go bright back to looking for more!!!

Bear

I would imagine smoking it would be very good.  Probably come out like jerky if it was cooked enough.

Mark

That Heart looks good, Would you smoke it sliced or trim then roll and tie it? I have Braised Beef Heart and it was as tender as any Pot Roast but with a Beefier flavor...JJ

I would imagine smoking it would be very good.  Probably come out like jerky if it was cooked enough.

Mark

This stuff was close enough to jerky.

I'd like to smoke it to a tender finish.

Bear
looks good. i have only had pickled deer heart before.
Thanks Ricky!!

Bear
Looks great Bear .Nice to have you back.  Anything on your radar that you could post in the nose to tail section we started while you were sidelined? MICK
Thank you very much!!!

Good to see you too.

I have some things I smoke while I was absent from SMF.

I'll gladly post them for my old Buddies!!!

Bear

That Heart looks good, Would you smoke it sliced or trim then roll and tie it? I have Braised Beef Heart and it was as tender as any Pot Roast but with a Beefier flavor...JJ
Thanks Jimmy!!!
I think if I was going to slow smoke it, I would cut it in quarters, trim the valves & strings out of it, and leave it like that (Like the second picture of this thread).

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky