Deep Fryed Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How do you prep your turkey for deep frying?

• I just fry the darn thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I brine it.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I inject it.

• I do brine and inject. More flavor the better.

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My inlaws used to Deep fry their birds, until they had one of my birds off the Weber Kettle.  Better flavor, and typically done in 3 hours or less. 

Just a side note about the injections.  If the injection has sugar in it, your oil will be toast the first time you use it.  Gets expensive..

I have only fried about 4 turkeys In my life. Two of them came out very good,and two of them....not so good. I think that most of us can agree that this is the most informative board on the net(IMO) .But,in doing some research on frying turkeys today,one post I read said fry with legs down,another said legs up. What do you do? Another post said cook until the coldest part of the breast is 145, let sit and breast will come up to 150 witch is perfect. They said any more than that, and the bird will be dry. Whats your opinion?  Thanks

Dave

But this year,when I fry my turkey,I think Im gonna fry it in the house,in the living room,on top of the shag carpet.But dont worry,Ill put some news papers down so I dont ruin the carpet, and fill my fryer to the top so I know I have enough oil.Oh yeah, Ill have some gas on hand so I can relight the burner if it goes out. Ill also have some help,my wife.She can sit beside the turkey fryer,with her oxygen tank,and we can some some cigarettes while we wait for it to fry. I LOVE THANKSGIVING!
sausage.gif

one thig i think is importmant is TURN OFF GAS WHEN YOU PLACE TURKEY IN THE OIL SO YOU HAVE NO BOIL OVER PROBLEM. Than turn gas back on to bring temp back up

I second that! Something as simple as dropping the bird when you're putting into the oil can create a catastrophe if the burner is lit.

Also - watch your oil temp, (especially at the end) because if it gets too hot, it will ignite when you take the lid off. If the oil is smoking, it's too hot.

---> Years of experience with the fryer and plenty of mistakes... thankfully none of those mistakes caused damage or fire (grin).

I have only fried about 4 turkeys In my life. Two of them came out very good,and two of them....not so good. I think that most of us can agree that this is the most informative board on the net(IMO) .But,in doing some research on frying turkeys today,one post I read said fry with legs down,another said legs up. What do you do? Another post said cook until the coldest part of the breast is 145, let sit and breast will come up to 150 witch is perfect. They said any more than that, and the bird will be dry. Whats your opinion?  Thanks

Dave
I've fried dozens of turkeys - always with the legs down. Never even thought of legs up. What is the motivation?

I saw a video recently where Chef Emeril Lagasse used the basket instead of the stand... I thought that was interesting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky