Deep fryer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjordan

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Good morning folks.

I have a question about thermometers that hopefully some of y’all can help with.

I have a R&V deep fryer that I use a good bit.
I have found that the thermometer it came with is about 25deg or so off, which is no big deal for the most part.

I would like to get a thermometer that could monitor the grease temp, but also the internal food temp for when I fry turkeys.

I'm still in the build process on my smoker, but once it’s completed, I would like to use the same thermometer with my smoker.
I wouldn’t be using both at the same.

Is there a thermometer (Thermopro/Ink Bird) that would work in this manner?

I know folks use them for basically the same thing in a smoker, just not for sure about a deep fryer.

Also, I would like to get a instant read thermometer.
I was wondering while were at it, if y’all can recommend a good one?

To my knowledge there is no submersible thermometer that is going to do what you want.

To my knowledge there is no submersible thermometer that is going to do what you want.
Good morning folks.

I have a question about thermometers that hopefully some of y’all can help with.

I have a R&V deep fryer that I use a good bit.
I have found that the thermometer it came with is about 25deg or so off, which is no big deal for the most part.

I would like to get a thermometer that could monitor the grease temp, but also the internal food temp for when I fry turkeys.

I'm still in the build process on my smoker, but once it’s completed, I would like to use the same thermometer with my smoker.
I wouldn’t be using both at the same.

Is there a thermometer (Thermopro/Ink Bird) that would work in this manner?

I know folks use them for basically the same thing in a smoker, just not for sure about a deep fryer.

Also, I would like to get a instant read thermometer.
I was wondering while were at it, if y’all can recommend a good one?

Thermoworks Seems to think it is OK to use their probes, they even sell a pot clip for this purpose

For this I would use a analog one with a long probe. Such as this.
King Kooker #SI12 - 12" Deep Fry/Boiling Thermometer
8e525a4a-fe55-4c99-b618-eef5118ecd05_1.eb31e79237a713fc56d50e12c35a92a6.jpeg

Reactions: 801driver
Thermoworks Seems to think it is OK to use their probes, they even sell a pot clip for this purpose

It appears to me he is looking to jab something in his turkey while it's submerged in the oil to know when it's done. - They don't make a temp probe that can be submerged in the oil, inside the turkey to give him the result he is looking for.

Thanks guys I wasn’t for sure if it was possible or not.
My main objective was to keep an eye on oil temp before and during the cook.

If I could have kept probe in the bird while cooking that would have been a plus.

While frying a bird in this fryer, the bird lays on its back, and the breast sits about 1/2”-1” +\- below the surface, so I wasn’t for sure if the probes would allow the cable to not be submerged in oil while frying.

With all of that being said. I’m assuming it would be ok to use the thermometer to keep a probe in the oil for monitoring the oil temp, even if I don’t probe the bird during the cook wouldn’t it?

Thanks guys I wasn’t for sure if it was possible or not.
My main objective was to keep an eye on oil temp before and during the cook.

If I could have kept probe in the bird while cooking that would have been a plus.

While frying a bird in this fryer, the bird lays on its back, and the breast sits about 1/2”-1” +\- below the surface, so I wasn’t for sure if the probes would allow the cable to not be submerged in oil while frying.

With all of that being said. I’m assuming it would be ok to use the thermometer to keep a probe in the oil for monitoring the oil temp, even if I don’t probe the bird during the cook wouldn’t it?

Did you see my post? Seems like that would work.

Did you see my post? Seems like that would work.
Yes sir I seen it and appreciate the response. In the past I haven’t had very good luck with analog thermometers so I wanted to try digital, also it will be used with my smoker once I get off my butt and build it

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky