Deep fried or Smoked Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Only oven roasted for Thanksgiving here. I actually like the house smelling like turkey as much as eating it... Fried and smoked birds are awesome but just too over the top with traditional sides. If I had to choose, I'd say fried is better but it's mostly since smoked is so aggressive tasting. Smoke cured turkey is bar none my favorite but it more of a delicacy snack than a meal thing. I cannot imagine chowing down a plate of it. Now, if I was hosting the after party, anything is fair game...
PS Best way to do fried is to do parts instead of whole bird. More control, safer, and far less oil.

My family decided on smoked so we are gonna give it a shot. Someone is also bringing a ham that way if I screw up we still got something to eat. haha. I think it will be alright though

Think I am going to smoke a bone in turkey breast for gobble gobble day this year. Only going to be the wife and I so why not, and if I screw it up we have an awesome Asian restaurant in the neighborhood!

Will I need to a drip rack? Seems most have used them for gravy drippings, so may have to go out and get a throw away one.

Think I am going to smoke a bone in turkey breast for gobble gobble day this year. Only going to be the wife and I so why not, and if I screw it up we have an awesome Asian restaurant in the neighborhood!

Will I need to a drip rack? Seems most have used them for gravy drippings, so may have to go out and get a throw away one.

I would say yes on the drip pan. My turkey and chickens always produce a lot of fluid and I prefer that it not make a mess in my smoker.
Also some of that can be worked back into the meat if you pull or slice off the bone.
Finally you could do a turkey gravy with the drippings which would be awesome for the meat, stuffing, and potatoes if you are having those sides. Best of luck!

Reactions: beatranger
I would say yes on the drip pan. My turkey and chickens always produce a lot of fluid and I prefer that it not make a mess in my smoker.
Also some of that can be worked back into the meat if you pull or slice off the bone.
Finally you could do a turkey gravy with the drippings which would be awesome for the meat, stuffing, and potatoes if you are having those sides. Best of luck!

I haven't thought about a drip pan, but that is a very good point. I think I am going to do that.

I always smoke my turkeys, and use a large roaster filled with veggies (potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic) as a drip pan on the lower level of my WSM. The turkey usually finishes before the veggies, so just keep that in mind. Depending on your smoker temp, they can take an hour or two longer than the turkey.

006.jpeg

I always smoke my turkeys, and use a large roaster filled with veggies (potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic) as a drip pan on the lower level of my WSM. The turkey usually finishes before the veggies, so just keep that in mind. Depending on your smoker temp, they can take an hour or two longer than the turkey.

View attachment 344853
that looks absolutely delicious!

I haven't thought about a drip pan, but that is a very good point. I think I am going to do that.

Check out this image I once posted of a whole Turkey I cooked. It has like 1.5 inches of drippings from the turkey in the bottom of the pan :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky