Dead Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You should only need the hi temp connectors for connecting directly to the heating element. The wires that are elsewhere should be ok with standard connectors... unless they are getting a lot of heat where they are at :)

Thanks

Ok i went with the Auber 1800w PID.
So i take the 2 lines from the element and wire to my new HD cord. Leave the ground where it is fixed to the smoker. Does it matter which 2 lines from the element goes to the wire on the cord? Both lines from element are like fabric coated and black.

Black/black
Black/white

Doesn't make any difference... The element doesn't know where the current comes from ... AC current flows 2 directions... so the element will heat evenly... Thus the name "Alternating" Current..

Doesn't make any difference... The element doesn't know where the current comes from ... AC current flows 2 directions... so the element will heat evenly... Thus the name "Alternating" Current..
Thanks Dave

Dave has you covered.
I would love to see what it all looks like when you have it rewired. I assume it would be a simple job. Just be sure you use hi temp connectors on the heating element and ensure all connectors are snug with no wiggle.
I can't wait to see how it comes out! :)

Well i musta did it right.
rewire4pid.jpg

I got the PID with the thermocouple probe.
pid1.jpg

And hold steady for some sticks at 130 for an hour.
YAY
pid.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your help and guidance.

Hahaha, I agree Dave :D

Nepas, what is the insulation like on that TSM smoker?
Also whats the original top temp range?

I ask because with the new PID controller you don't have a hard upper temp limit. You just need to be sure that you don't push a temp that might hurt your smoker. So be mindful of this :)

For example, my MES 40" has an original max of 275F but with my rewire and PID I push it to 325F for quick chicken/turkey smokes so I get edible skin. I don't exceed 275F for anything else because I don't want to ruin the spray foam insulation that MES uses in the body.

Hahaha, I agree Dave :D

Nepas, what is the insulation like on that TSM smoker?
Also whats the original top temp range?

I ask because with the new PID controller you don't have a hard upper temp limit. You just need to be sure that you don't push a temp that might hurt your smoker. So be mindful of this :)

For example, my MES 40" has an original max of 275F but with my rewire and PID I push it to 325F for quick chicken/turkey smokes so I get edible skin. I don't exceed 275F for anything else because I don't want to ruin the spray foam insulation that MES uses in the body.

The max is 200. I never go past 170* anyways. The insulation is some sort of glass about 3/4" thick.

When i used Bradley smokers i went thru 3 Auber PIDs (had them re built)

Nepas,
Good morning. I just ordered an Auber WSD-1200-GPH controller for my TSM Country smoker and I am wondering if you have any advice on wiring it in to my smoker. I read that there are several different approaches that you can take by either adding a separate cord or reusing the original power cord on the unit. Which did you do? By default, you have become the official expert on TSM electrical modifications. I realize that is a heavy burden for a man that does not have a multi-meter. (I actually have one but don't know how to use it.) Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gary

Thanks, Daveomak. I have read the online manual for the Auber and all that it says that pertains to me is that it is not approved for use on anything but the Bradley and I know Nepas wired one into his
TSM smoker. I can find the high temp wires and hook them up to a separate cord, bypassing the on off switch, the original temp controller and just plug it into the Auber. My concern is that I will also be bypassing any safety measures (if any) in the original wiring. I am not sure what safety is incorporated as inside the control box there is only two components, switch and controller. I don't want to burn down the farm. I called TSM but the tech I talked to had never heard about Auber so he was no help.

I think if you hook it directly to the heating element, the original controls will still function, without any heat control...
I hooked a dimmer switch to my MES30 element... The original controls don't know the element is out of the circuit... It turns on and off like normal... The high limit still functions...
What you "might" have to do, is what I did, is set the original temp controller to max. temperature, then have the Auber control at lower temps... You can use the power to the element to power up your Auber... That way the Auber will turn on and off with the original switch on the smoker.. AS LONG AS you don't use more power than the smoker originally supplied... That would trip circuit controls... blow fuses etc... ALSO, make sure the element does not use more power than the Auber is designed for.... Make sense ???

Remote smoker control.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, thanks for the input. I think it makes sense. I need to get into the unit and try to rewire and then I will find out if I do or don't understand. I am good on the power limits. The TSM Country smoker is rated at 1000 watts and the Auber is rated for 1400 watts. 40% safety margin should be plenty. Beside I don't "cook" in my smoker, only smoke. I have a Traeger if I want to cook a pork butt so I am seldom smoking hotter than 175 F. When you say "You can use the power to the element to power up your Auber..." do you mean remove the high temp wires (from the coil) from where they are currently landed (one goes to the existing controller and the other goes to the switch) and wire those now vacant terminals to an electrical outlet that I install in the control box and then plug the Auber into that to get it power? Then by setting the existing controller to max I would be presenting full power to the Auber for it to control. And then add a new cord to connect the high temp wires from the coil to a plug that would be plugged into the Auber? That seems like it would just be splicing the Auber into the unit and makes sense. I am really grateful for your advice and assistance on this matter. I am new to this (or any) forum and I am impressed at the help people offer. Thanks, Dave. Gary

Yep... By installing the Auber where the element is, all the TSM smoker controls are still operative EXCEPT for the heating function.. Having the TSM temp control set to max, your Auber should never run out of power.... And the Auber, with it's temp probes, will control the heat....
Just connect the Auber controller power plug, to the wires that would normally go from the TSM wires to the element.... Get a female plug on those wires that would go to the element....
71JQPjJixxL._SL1500_.jpg

Dave, thanks for the input. I think it makes sense. I need to get into the unit and try to rewire and then I will find out if I do or don't understand. I am good on the power limits. The TSM Country smoker is rated at 1000 watts and the Auber is rated for 1400 watts. 40% safety margin should be plenty. Beside I don't "cook" in my smoker, only smoke. I have a Traeger if I want to cook a pork butt so I am seldom smoking hotter than 175 F. When you say "You can use the power to the element to power up your Auber..." do you mean remove the high temp wires (from the coil) from where they are currently landed (one goes to the existing controller and the other goes to the switch) and wire those now vacant terminals to an electrical outlet that I install in the control box and then plug the Auber into that to get it power? Then by setting the existing controller to max I would be presenting full power to the Auber for it to control. And then add a new cord to connect the high temp wires from the coil to a plug that would be plugged into the Auber? That seems like it would just be splicing the Auber into the unit and makes sense. I am really grateful for your advice and assistance on this matter. I am new to this (or any) forum and I am impressed at the help people offer. Thanks, Dave. Gary

Hi there and welcome Gary!

If your TSM guts look the guts in the following image I'm pretty sure we can make 2 splices from the existing plug that is already in your unit so that it bypasses the old busted TSM controller. This is basically what Nepas did. See the explanation image here and then below it see Nepas wire job to bypass the TSM controller so the plug would feed power directly to the TSM element from his Auber :)

Explanation of wiring picture:
nepasoldswitch2-png.344151

Nepas wire job image:
rewire4pid-jpg.346575

In short he basically connected Hot (1) to Element Hot (7) but it looks like he kept the switch in the circuit. You would probably just want to byass the switch all together, that is my recommendation since the Auber unit has a switch.
Then he spliced Neutral (2) to Element Neutral (6).
If there is a safety cut off switch in the circuit his rewire would keep it in the circuit :)

If you directly splice Hot (1) to Element Hot (7) and then Neutral (2) to Element Neutral (6) it would make the existing TSM plug run to the heating element. You then plug the TSM plug into the Auber and the Auber into the wall for power. You put the Auber temp probe inside the TSM and the Auber can now read the temp inside the TSM and cut power off/on to the heating element to hold the temp.

Let me know if that makes a little sense :)

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
Good morning Tallbm. Thank you for your response. My existing controller is not malfunctioning, it is just not a PID and I want the additional controll and accuracy of the Auber. What Dave is trying to assist me with is to install the Auber into the control of the TSM and I think he has figured it out! Basically what I am going to do is disconnect the 2 wires from the heating coil and use those now bare terminals to provide power for the auber. The 2, now loose wires from the coil will be attached to a new extension cord (14 Ga.), run through a grommet through the control box housing and plug into the back of the Auber. I will use the existing power cord to the TSM as the main power cord. We believe that this work around will keep all of the functions of the smoker still active except the coil will be controlled by the Auber. To turn everything on I will use the existing power switch. I hope this rambling makes sense. Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky