Dead Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I mixed up 5lbs of Owens BBQ Honey BBQ stick mix, stuffed and went out to heat up the smoker and OUCH.

No power.

I had a new digital controller and temp probe which i installed real quick.

dead1.jpg

dead.jpg

OUCH
Still nothing. So i figure its the switch or element which i have neither right now.

SO

I have to improvise which i hate doing like this.
Small oven which goes low to 150*
YUK
imp.jpg

Ok not liking these this way.
Time to feed the critters at the land fill.

well.. c'mon over and get the Mini Smokehouse... just fired it up today for the first time and running a batch of smoke through it to season it up... I ended up having to use a 1500 watt and an 800 watt element together to get it up to 180.. what size element does yours have ??

Rick sorry to hear that you had some good looking sausages coming out of it
Richie

1000w element

Gotta call TSM tomorrow and get the 2 parts needed.

Not their fault. My smoker is pretty much open to the elements even though i do cover after it cools off.

TSM Finally got me the part # on the on/off switch.
I ordered 2 elements and 2 switches. Up and smoking soon.

I replaced the digital control, temp probe so that left the element or switch, the fuse is still intact and all the connections were tight.. I'm not great at electrical so it was easier to just get all new stuff.

@richie.
I dont own a jacket or pants anymore. BRRRRR To cold.
:eek:

Rick,

You need a digital meter so you can trouble shoot stuff like that quickly! Absent that, with no power to anything, I would have suspected fuse (which you said was good) or the master power switch. Sounds like you have a good handle on it though....

Meter would have saved you some money by targeting the part that was faulty. If you are not comfortable with reading line voltage (ie, live AC), you could accomplish most of the testing in continuity mode on the meter (with the smoker totally unplugged).

Got the parts ordered yesterday from TSM.
Got 2 elements and 2 power switches coming.

YAY
Almost back in business

Rick,

You need a digital meter so you can trouble shoot stuff like that quickly! Absent that, with no power to anything, I would have suspected fuse (which you said was good) or the master power switch. Sounds like you have a good handle on it though....

Meter would have saved you some money by targeting the part that was faulty. If you are not comfortable with reading line voltage (ie, live AC), you could accomplish most of the testing in continuity mode on the meter (with the smoker totally unplugged).

Thanks dw.

Im not very good at electrical stuff so its easier to just replace.

That sucks. I also would recommend getting a Multimeter. The simplest function on the device is just checking for Continuity. This means that if you tough a wire/connector at one point and also touch where it is suppose to be feeding power that the multimeter will beep at you. This signals that there is no break in continuity and electricity can flow from point A to point B.

This is helpful to start narrowing down where the broken component may be so you can find, working, and/or replace only the problematic pieces :)

That sucks. I also would recommend getting a Multimeter. The simplest function on the device is just checking for Continuity. This means that if you tough a wire/connector at one point and also touch where it is suppose to be feeding power that the multimeter will beep at you. This signals that there is no break in continuity and electricity can flow from point A to point B.

This is helpful to start narrowing down where the broken component may be so you can find, working, and/or replace only the problematic pieces :)

A multimeter is above my pay grade o_O

A multimeter is above my pay grade o_O

:eek:
Well if it ever get's bad and you need one or risk being electrocuted just speak up and I'm sure Santa can provide one :D

Well

Right elements, wrong switches. SOB

prts.jpg

Original switch on the right. The one on left they say is the same and will work?

REALLY

switches.jpg

switches1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky