DaWeber: A ten-dollar rescue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
My neighbors are moving out. Short story is they got screwed by a family member and now the bank will foreclose. They're leaving a back yard full of clutter including a boat trapped inside their fence. ... But look to the right, what's that hiding behind a soggy half-bag of briquettes?

It pays to be a nosy neighbor.

I offered them $10 for it. Deal. And so arrived DaWeber. I'd guess it's about three years old, been used a few times but not much. Welcome to your new home.

With some easy leg repair and a few minutes of wire brush love, it's good to go.

This is the model of Weber our family had when I was growing up. We made countless steaks, burgers and shish kebabs but we never used it as a smoker. Well, that was all in the previous century. I look forward to years of fun with this, listening to that unique clang of a Weber lid.

Next I'll re-season it with a fire and no food, just to burn the last lost spirits of neglect out of it. Too busy today with spare ribs in the offset. More to come ...

Too bad about them getting screwed but good deal you got.

Let's see some fire.

Nice score, in in unfortunate incident. If you like wings you'll need a vortex, it's an inferno. 

Chris

I should explain that I learned my first smoking on a smaller Weber, with no legs, on a ridgetop with a lot of windfall maple. I made a campfire in it and used the top vent to choke the fire to a whisper. Split chicken breasts. I was sold. Here i am.

As far as I know, I am the only one here who uses the top vent to control airflow in a Weber.

Ah well, it's mine now and by chance I have a nice stash of maple from a neighbor's tree which was removed almost exactly a year ago.

Reactions: hap12
I think that's a great score. But you saved so much on it you need to add the Cajun bandit rotisserie ring and rotisserie for some more fun!

OK next step taken, I cooked up a batch of nothing over a fire of only maple splits.

My favorite nothing recipe:

Ingredients

Air

Method

Light fire.

A little bit of toying with the vents confirms it will regulate the fire perfectly. For those of you who haven't run one of these, it's easy to shut everything completely and snuff the fire, saving the remaining fuel for the next burn. I don't know if a WSM can do that but I suppose they can.

The nice thing about cooking nothing is it requires little attention and of course there are no leftovers.

That boat is a funny story. I don't know why it's there in the first place, but it was there when they installed the stockade fence, which is old enough to be falling apart. They built the fence with no gate big enough to let the boat through, so they knew they were trapping the boat in the yard. It must have years of leaves rotting in it.

As I claim the right to derail my own thread, notice that the Gilligan's Island theme and Amazing Grace share the same meter - either can be sung to the tune of the other. Try it.

Yesterday a property clean-out operation got rid of everything at the abandoned house and the Weber would have been tossed along with everything else.

OK you Weber peeps. here's a quiz: What's wrong in this picture? Heh heh

Edited to add, the answer is not "It isn't lit."

Last edited:
Legs in wrong
We have a winner!  It's an easy fix but I don't understand how that happened. I just thought it was a funny mistake. Might as well broadcast it on a global network of computers for the world to see.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky