1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

"DANGER" WILL ROBINSON "DANGER"

Discussion in 'Pork' started by JckDanls 07, Aug 13, 2019.

1. JckDanls 07

JckDanls 07 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

So I've been making homemade pork rinds for 4 or 5 years now... I buy the pork skin at a local Mexican store.. $1.99 a lb ... I've followed TheMule69 thread to make my pellets...
    https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pork-rind-pellets-from-scratch.131873/

So I just made up 3 1/2 lbs worth of skin into pellets... Let me tell you... If anybody is going to give this a go... find a way to boil the skins OUTSIDE... They will damn sure stink the house up... That's the first warning...

The second warning ??? He (themule69) uses a CI skillet to fry his pellets in.. I use the deep fryer ... but I got to thinking ... "I wonder how these would work in the Air Fryer" ... UMMMMM....

NOT TO WELL... They popped open like popcorn and then stuck to the heat element and started to burn... stinking really bad... luckily I quick unplugged it before it started a fire... LOL...

So please take it from a voice of experience and don't try to make pork rinds in the air fryer...

HalfSmoked and yodelhawk like this.
  2. sigmo

sigmo Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That's gotta stink, too! When you really burn any protein, it really smells nasty.

Even the deep frying is something I'd do out on my deck. The splatter helps seal the redwood, and the oil vapor won't attach to everything in the house making it smell for months.

Good warning! Thanks.

3. BuckeyeSteve

BuckeyeSteve Smoke Blower

Haha.... Thanks for the flashback. I bet a lot of people here have no idea who Will Robinson is. I'd feel pretty old but, I had a DeLorean take me back 30 years.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Steve H likes this.
  4. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now them there are Words of Wisdom.

5. Thank you for the alerts.

I always do my funky cooking outside on the propane powered twin burner stove or deep fryer. Got a few months that make it tough though ...

There is enough re-runs out there on the broadcast TV channels, that the youngers will pick up the classic signature statements.

6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You still living in the house or has wife moved you out? :emoji_laughing:
    For sure can make an awful odor.

Warren

7. Wow, I'm old!

8. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

The show was remade in 2018. I never saw the remake, but liked the original in mid-sixties.

Chris

9. I didn't know there was a remake