Dang Squirrels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We'd always left them alone even though the males barked at us all the time. One night about a decade or more ago a male was sitting on the bull pine about 20 feet away from our hot tub (while we were tub-ing) and incessantly barked at us the entire evening and I'd had enough of the pests. The next time we used the hot tub I brought along a BB pistol (so weak you could watch the pellet leaving the "weapon". I fired at the barker and sure enough he fled. The next day we came out to find the cushions on our deck furniture all torn up, and that was the last straw - I went to Cabelas and purchased a scoped Gamo .177 pellet rifle and went hunting. I live on 10 rural forested acres and it took me a couple of weeks to get rid of them on the acre surrounding the house, but my yard is nice and quiet now and no more damage to my furniture (or anything else).

Funny end to the story: we have way too many trees right next to the house so we called in a logger to remove a bunch. I was out watching them work and one of the guys came up to me and said "dang, I sure wouldn't want to be a squirrel around here".

He must have seen the aftermath of my hunts up in the trees.

Dude WTF????? Those are pandemic food stores bro stop wasting food LOL O.o. Nothing wrong with some smoked tree rat when society breaks down. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

grill.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: idahopz
Gammo for squirrels! Used to live trap & relocate, but occasionally had one that needed to go. Into Judy’s orchids :emoji_angry:
Al

BGSDT, Spray foam is a snack for those furry pests. I pack steel wool in the holes and then spray foam with more steel wool (while it's setting up) to prevent access. I also shoot the little b-tards! :)

I think he has it sealed up enough so they cant get in now. I did not hear anything this morning. We have a cold spell next week. Will find out. I do miss watching them when I had bird feeder and Gretchen does also.

Reactions: negolien
I have tons, just one of my oak trees next to the house is up to 13 nests. There are so many acorns around they seem to leave my house alone. Of course I probably just cursed myself there.

Funny this should come along. I am actually in a "disagreement" with one right now.
Last week I put a suet bird feeder on the corner of what's left of my back deck. After 2 days, the whole contraption disappeared, and I only found it this morning near my back fence. Put another suet chunk out, and 20 minutes later I caught the squirrel trying to steal it again.
So I relocated the feeder to what I thought was a more difficult spot to reach (it sure was for me), but it didn't take it long to shinny up the post and try some thievery again. It's a fat one, too; might be a pregnant female. I live in the 'burbs so my .22, even with Quiet rounds, isn't an option (at least not during the daytime.)
In the past, they've raided my peach tree before the fruit was ripe, too. One little b**tard grabbed a peach from the front yard, hauled it all the way to the railing on my back porch, and stared straight at me through the glass door while he ate it. They're not subtle when they want to send you a message.
1674951553602.png

Last edited:
You can try spicy bird seed. Mammals react badly to capsaicin but birds are not affected by it. Planting peppers like habaneros or jalapenos help too.

I have tons, just one of my oak trees next to the house is up to 13 nests. There are so many acorns around they seem to leave my house alone. Of course I probably just cursed myself there.
I have 3 large oak trees in my backyard. Not a single squirrel nest in them. They prefer the ash trees or the spruce trees across the street.
My backyard is a 24/7 feast during acorn season with squirrels, deer, and racoons.
My yard looks as a golf course with all the divots from the rats burying their hoards.

Reactions: jcam222
I have removed 36 oak trees in my yard since 1997 and still have at least 32 more (mind you only a .75 acre sized property). When it is a big acorn year they bounce on my cars like ball bearings.

Reactions: jcam222 and gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky