Dang Squirrels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I have a guy up on the house now trying to seal up some spaces. Been having squirrels in my add on room ceiling for few years. No crawl space there. Last year had babies in there. The main roof and add on roof come together with patio roof. Boy sure hope they out of there right now!!!! The preacher that owned this build this add on did a lousy job! Never tied into the house on walls. I use spray foam as there is about a inch space between add on wall and house. Also poured 3 small slabs around old patio and did not tie in any of them. I had cement poured over it to bring up to level of house floor. This was a starter house and some how never upgraded. Boy I regret that now!

IMG_20230125_144525303_HDR.jpg IMG_20230125_144604231.jpg IMG_20230125_144704509.jpg

Oh man. If a squirrel can find a way in they will. And yep its amazing what you can find out about your house the longer your there. Hope they get ya fixed up!

Jim

I have a guy up on the house now trying to seal up some spaces. Been having squirrels in my add on room ceiling for few years. No crawl space there. Last year had babies in there. The main roof and add on roof come together with patio roof. Boy sure hope they out of there right now!!!! The preacher that owned this build this add on did a lousy job! Never tied into the house on walls. I use spray foam as there is about a inch space between add on wall and house. Also poured 3 small slabs around old patio and did not tie in any of them. I had cement poured over it to bring up to level of house floor. This was a starter house and some how never upgraded. Boy I regret that now!

View attachment 656005View attachment 656004View attachment 656003

I understand your pain with the squirrels!

Time to get a good trap and start looking up squirrel recipes? Hahahaha.

Some squirrel gumbo sounds good.

Those little bastards have terrorized and chewed up my house and all my plants for a good while UNTIL I bought a good trap and a Winchester 1977xs bb/pellet air rifle. It does 1000FPS so gets the job done with bb's easily.

I looked up about relocating the squirrels and read that they starve when not in their familiar area to find their buried food reserves.
I don't want that so unfortunately for them it's pest control which = popping them with the BB gun.

I've removed 83 of them and the squirrel pressure on my house is now at an acceptable level. I bet I could remove another 25 or so and really minimize the pressure on my house.

I also had a hole sealed up and that has helped but I bet it's a matter of time before they attempt to chew the filling out.

For now they get a pass. If pressure picks up then its pest extermination time again.
There is definitely no shortage of them here, and I have nothing against them as long as they stop eating up my home and my property lol :D

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I understand your pain with the squirrels!

Time to get a good trap and start looking up squirrel recipes? Hahahaha.

Some squirrel gumbo sounds good.

Those little bastards have terrorized and chewed up my house and all my plants for a good while UNTIL I bought a good trap and a Winchester 1977xs bb/pellet air rifle. It does 1000FPS so gets the job done with bb's easily.

I looked up about relocating the squirrels and read that they starve when not in their familiar area to find their buried food reserves.
I don't want that so unfortunately for them it's pest control which = popping them with the BB gun.

I've removed 83 of them and the squirrel pressure on my house is now at an acceptable level. I bet I could remove another 25 or so and really minimize the pressure on my house.

I also had a hole sealed up and that has helped but I bet it's a matter of time before they attempt to chew the filling out.

For now they get a pass. If pressure picks up then its pest extermination time again.
There is definitely no shortage of them here, and I have nothing against them as long as they stop eating up my home and my property lol :D
They are tasty, and the fur makes great flies - leeches.

Last edited:
Squirrels need to eat. Feed them regularly to earn their trust then give them a little dietary supplement to help them sleep. Hopefully you can remove them from their resting place before they stink.

I put raw peanuts in a feeder out on my back fence. I have no intention of eliminating the squirrels here but feeding them away from the house keeps them away from the house. I do have a belt of woods behind my house so they have a natural habitat to live in.
Good luck..

So… while your home… I agree with the BB or pellet gun resolution! I used to be a lineman… after being one for almost two decades… the strong dislike for them is forever in my blood! I refer to them little b@stards as rats with a fluffy tail! So territorial with poles… when climbing they would hide and try to snap (bite) at ya! Even had some that would pick things off trees and drop on my hard hat while climbing!

Fortunately don’t deal with them much at my house… One every once in a while and somehow they seem to not last long! 😉

For what it’s worth and if it’s possible… heard a solution of 1/2 water and vinegar mixed with granulated garlic and cayenne pepper works as a deterrent to spray an entry point! May have to spray once a day til they either get the hint or option one is fulfilled! As mentioned above, traps are always a good option!

Good luck!

Reactions: tallbm
I've got a similar mess on the house up north. Garage was originally detached but PO wanted the breezeway closed up. A pro carpenter did the job and the multiple roof slopes and valley is terrible. Don't have squirrels (rats with furry tails!), got a small roof leak I for the life of me cannot find the source.

I have to thin the populations every couple of years. Buggers are smarter than giving credit. They do learn to leave things alone, but the next generation always needs educating.

Reactions: tallbm and Djfan
Heck, I like the furry little farts! Think we have 4. They drive the dogs nuts though. Wife hangs some bird feeders in tree off back corner of the house...seen them hanging upside down and horizontal eating out of them.

Ryan

Heck, I like the furry little farts! Think we have 4. They drive the dogs nuts though. Wife hangs some bird feeders in tree off back corner of the house...seen them hanging upside down and horizontal eating out of them.

Ryan
That why I put a bird feeder out until the things started getting in my ceiling. They always kept Gretchen entertained.

I got a lil red fox that has gotten use to me leavin him a squirrel or two a few times a week. Have to put them in one certain spot for him to get them. Leave them anywhere else and they'll rot there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky