Daikon Radish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kvgsqtii

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 28, 2022
SC
I just planted most of my garden with daikon radish to aid in loosening up the soil. So in 40-50 days I'm gong to have a whole bunch on my hands. Does anyone know of a way to preserve radish other than freezing or pickling? USDA's home canning guide is silent on the matter, but there are alot of veggies not included in their guide.

Thoughts?

I have no idea but will bump your thread. Sounds like you'll have plenty. I don't care for it myself, but my wife does.

Ryan

I've found plenty if fermenting and pickling recipes, just wondered if there was a way top can and use as a canned potato substitute. I may just try canning a batch like potatoes and see how it goes. If they smell or look funny I can pitch it and not be out anything.

Here are USDAs general canning guidelines from here
For Safety’s Sake
Pressure canning is the only recommended method for canning meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables. The bacterium Clostridium botulinum is destroyed in low-acid foods when they are processed at the correct time and pressure in pressure canners. Using boiling water canners for these foods poses a real risk of botulism poisoning.
If Clostridium botulinum bacteria survive and grow inside a sealed jar of food, they can produce a poisonous toxin. Even a taste of food containing this toxin can be fatal. Boiling food 10 minutes at altitudes below 1,000 ft should destroy this poison when it is present. For altitudes at and above 1,000 ft, add 1 additional minute per 1,000 ft additional elevation. Caution: To prevent the risk of botulism, low-acid and tomato foods not canned according to the recommendations in this publication or according to other USDA-endorsed recommendations should be boiled as above, in a saucepan before consuming, even if you detect no signs of spoilage. This is not intended to serve as a recommendation for consuming foods known to be significantly underprocessed according to current standards and recommended methods. It is not a guarantee that all possible defects and hazards with other methods can be overcome by this boiling process. All low-acid foods canned according to the approved recommendations may be eaten without boiling them when you are sure of all the following:
  • Food was processed in a pressure canner.
  • Gauge of the pressure canner was accurate.
  • Up-to-date researched process times and pressures were used for the size of jar, style of pack, and kind of food being canned.
  • The process time and pressure recommended for sterilizing the food at your altitude was followed. Jar lid is firmly sealed and concave.
  • Nothing has leaked from jar.
  • No liquid spurts out when jar is opened.
  • No unnatural or “off” odors can be detected.
Do Your Canned Foods Pass This Test?
Overall appearance
  • Good proportion of solid to liquid
  • Full pack with proper headspace
  • Liquid just covering solid
  • Free of air bubbles
  • Free of imperfections—stems, cores, seeds
  • Good seals
  • Practical pack that is done quickly and easily
Fruit and vegetables
  • Pieces uniform in size and shape
  • Characteristic, uniform color
  • Shape retained—not broken or mushy
  • Proper maturity
Liquid or syrup
  • Clear and free from sediment
Of note, I didn't find any discussion about canning food not listed in that guide

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky