Dad-in-law got a Traeger, still can't cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Blue Kettle

Original poster
Feb 20, 2018
My father-in-law got a Traeger. He's retired and basically doesn't do anything but sit around watching the golf channel so I actually had suggested that he get into smoking meat, thinking it would give him a hobby. So for the 4th of July we go over to their house and he's cooked a brisket and he's in the process of finishing up some 3-2-1 ribs. I asked him him how long he's cooked the brisket for and he said 6 hours. It was a six lb. flat. Needless to say this thing was still fairly tough. The connective tissue hasn't really broken down (he claimed it had gotten to 191).

So how do I offer advice without offending the guy? I'm afraid I'll be stuck eating horribly cooked food at every family get together from here on. Any cook book suggestions? I think that is part of the problem. He's relying on this little cookbook that came with the Traeger but I don't think the cookbook is actually very good. Can't it be very good if it told him to cook that brisket to 191 for goodness sake.

My dad and I always had a very honest relationship with one another. If either of us saw the other was doing something wrong we'd politely or jokingly tell the other. Sometimes we'd let each other go to just the point of no return. Before speaking up. It worked for us and we were able to maintain the father son relationship as well as best friend relationship. Good luck, you don't want anyone to get sick.

Chris

Reactions: Blue Kettle
In my opinion, His best opportunity for guidance is to get him to join this forum. Good luck! B
That's definitely what he SHOULD do (that's what I've been doing ever since getting into smoking stuff and I still consider it a learning process). Unfortunately, he's one of these guys who never really adapted to the computer age.

I think I've devised a plan. Next time we're over there when he isn't looking we'll hide the "cook book" that came with the grill. Then he'll be forced to actually seek out information himself instead of rely on that.

The book is actually pretty good especially for a beginner. He just needs some practice.
I think I figured out the possible issue. Although I can't confirm because I don't have the book I would imagine it is the same recipe from their website. I think he quit reading after the 1st part were it says cook it 6 hours and just thought he was done without realizing he had another 3-4 to go after foiling it. 9-10 hours would be a lot closer to right.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/beef/traeger-brisket

I would agree with this . Sure didn't happen over night for me .

Maybe start by having a positive , helpful mindset towards the man ?
I'm nothing if not helpful and positive I want him to get the most out of this great hobby.

I think being honest with him is the way to go. <Also from what I've seen, Traeger recipes are really well done. I use them as guidelines a lot.>

Otherwise I do like the hide the cookbook method..

I'm not sure what temp he is bringing it up to. It does sound like he forgot the second step of wrapping it and then it also sounds like he forgot (or didn't know) that he should let it rest for at LEAST an hour afterwards in a cooler.
As far as telling him, try a nonchalant way of saying something like "hey, would you mind if I help out on the next brisket? I'd love to try a few things out and see if they work. I'll buy the brisket!" or something like that.

Buy him a good remote thermo. Is he using the Traeger one? And I agree with suggesting he Join this site. Lol you can always delete the thread....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky