Dad-in-law got a Traeger, still can't cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds like a great opportunity for a Sunday smokefest. Go over early to possibly help him get started, then spend the afternoon enjoying beer, football &/or golf. Throughout the process (with you helping) the right things will happen, everyone will enjoy the evening meal and hopefully he will gain some knowledge & experience.

BTW: introducing him to taking notes (like you do?) as the smoke progresses might also be helpful.

Pardon the pun but brisket is a tough meat to crack, especially for a beginner. Since the ribs were decent there's hope for him. I had the opposite situation where my son in law tried to do a brisket and it was terrible. Fortunately for me, he had tasted my brisket and HE KNEW his sucked. So, unless you told him at that meal that the brisket was awesome, then by all means, be truthful with him and offer to help him with his next brisket. And personally I've never had a flat taste was good as a whole brisket even if I ended up throwing the tip away after cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky