Cutting Briskets in Half?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tokarev

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
We enjoy eating brisket but the family's not big enough to eat a whole packer in just a couple days. And even though we like it it can get a little old eating it for a week.

One option might be to cut the flat and the point and then freeze whichever cut isn't needed right away. But we like having a bit of each cut once the meat is cooked.

What about cutting a brisket in half across the long length and then freezing one half? I assume this isn't too crazy an idea. Am I missing anything? Anyone have any advice?

BTW--the local butcher wants $9 a pound for his brisket. So I could always get a smaller cut from him but it is cheaper to buy a packet from the grocery store even if I cut half of it off and grind it into hamburger.

$9.00/lb! :emoji_astonished: I'd tell the butcher to stick that brisket where the sun don't shine.

I'd rather cook the whole Packer and eat what we want.
Then the remainder is sliced, vacuum bagged with added au jus or broth and then frozen.
Leftovers done this way are easy to reheat via boil-n-bag.

Wow! $9 /lb. There's a butcher in my area who charges those prices and I refuse to shop there. My wife was sick once and wanted skirt steak fajitas. Could not find skirt steak anywhere but his shop. I paid $15/lb and have never been back.

I smoke full packers for just my wife and me. I slice off what we can eat in a couple days, then divvy up the rest into same size portions before I vac seal and freeze them.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Hey Chile, when you do it this way how much au jus do you want in the bag to freeze. Obviously it’s relative to the amount of beef do not looking for a measurement but just an idea. Thanks

Never been real excited about thawed out cooked brisket. It ends up tasting like someone's old pot roast.

OG2m4FT.jpg
Cutting a brisket on the axis is not a new style of butchering by any means.... but when you make your cut line, one half will have more point than the other. I cook both at the same time, then prepare the freezer half with a little more beefy jus, and triple wrap that one. You can just reheat in the same foil pouch and slice right before serving for maximum moistness.
GHQalAp.jpg

The only downside I see is that the slices from the flat are only half as long.... but that's no big deal, at least you get some point with each one.
J2XbW0Z.jpg

Never been real excited about thawed out cooked brisket. It ends up tasting like someone's old pot roast.
Making some guesses here.
1. You didn't season the brisket enough.
2. You let it dry out from freezing instead of vac pack with some drippings
3. You microwaved and the worst injustice to reheating meat.

I either steam my brisket in a toaster oven or foil wrap and put on hot source of the tractor I operate.

Do you have a vacuum sealer?
If you do, I challenge you to lay some tender, juicy, fresh slices of brisket flat with a slight overlap, add a little au jus or broth and maybe a few pats of butter, then seal and freeze.
Now get a large pot of water simmering and reheat that brisket.
Try that and tell me if it taste like an old pot roast.

I have a 16 lb prime brisket (minus what we ate right off the cooker) sliced and vac sealed in the freezer right now and believe me, it ALL tastes great!
Storing cooked meat is another skill that needs learning for a BBQ man.

Do you have a vacuum sealer?
If you do, I challenge you to lay some tender, juicy, fresh slices of brisket flat with a slight overlap, add a little au jus or broth and maybe a few pats of butter, then seal and freeze.
Now get a large pot of water simmering and reheat that brisket.
Try that and tell me if it taste like an old pot roast.
That is exactly the way we do them, & you can’t tell that it wasn’t smoked that day. Tastes just like it just came off the smoker.
Al

A late suggestion, you can always separate the Point from the Flat and make Burnt Ends! No one that I know ever gets tired of eating them! I smoke multiple briskets (and butts) at a time and vacuum seal & freeze, because it's more economical with time and fuel on long cooks. Then I can smoke other things next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky