Christmas Day Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHighSmokerGirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Denver, CO
A full packer brisket cut in half just went on the smoker at 0500 MST. Off and running. Dad's last day here. I take him to the airport Tues morning about 4 am.

IMG_5572.jpeg

IMG_5574.jpeg

IMG_5595.jpeg

IMG_5596.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

- Refrigerated Mashed Potatoes
- Fruit Salad
- Corn
- Romaine Salad w/ cucumber, celery and red onions
- Apple Pie and Pumpkin pie for dessert

He wants to watch his Chiefs at 11 am MST 🙄

I'm still steaming over Denver's loss to the Patriots last night. Ugh. 😡

Then we're gonna watch John McClane re-take the Nakatomi Tower from terrorists on Christmas Eve.

Dinner will be at 6 pm MST and we'll watch the Ravens vs 49ers team.

Sounds like a good day. What do you mean by refrigerated mashed potato’s? Those look pretty good

Edit*** nevermind. I just found your post about them. They look good I’m gonna have to try them

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
Sounds like a good day. What do you mean by refrigerated mashed potato’s? Those look pretty good
You mix everything up and put them in a sprayed casserole dish, smooth it all out flat and put sliced butter on top. Cover with saran wrap, press n seal or foil and stick them in the fridge for at least 8 hrs (or more) to marinate. Then you put them in oven for 45 mins.

This was my Grandma's recipe. I have no idea where she got it or if she made it up herself but they are the best damn mashed potatoes I have ever had. They are tough to beat. 😋

IMG_5597.jpeg

Sounds like a great day! And you’re sending dad off with A belly full of happiness! Wonder if TSA would let him in with a plate for the flight.

Jim

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
Gonna be a mighty fine meal! Hope the game tonight is better than the Chiefs game... if not my wife will be as happy with the niners as you are with Denver! Hope dad brought his stretchy pants for all the fine meals ya been eating!

Ryan

Well the brisket didn't come out as I hoped, but thankfully we salvaged enough and tossed it in some beef broth and made it work.

About 5.5 hrs in I walked out to check my fire and it had mysteriously dropped to 200° despite rocking at 300° for 4 hrs plus. I made a basket of coals and got it going again. We let it ride for another 45 mins, and then decided to let it finish in the oven. My screw up was I put the oven temp at 375° and it hit 206° IT too fast and dried out. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Like I said, I screwed it up but we salvaged just enough to eat and with a little bbq sauce it was still good, just not what I hoped for. I seriously wanted to bawl my eyes out and I probably would have if my Dad hadn't been able to salvage enough to eat.

Everything else was delicious and perfect.

IMG_5631.jpeg

IMG_5637.jpeg

IMG_5638.jpeg

IMG_5639.jpeg

IMG_5640.jpeg

Every smoke is a lesson learned.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Still looks like a good meal Hannah! But one question, you said it temped at 206... did probe slide in easily like into soft butter? Not a brisket expert but temp of 206 doesn't necessarily mean it's ready. Some go higher to become probe tender and a resting time is needed. Seems most dry brisket wasn't done yet.

Either way, sounds like you had some great time spent with your dad... and that's best gift anyone could get!

Ryan

Still looks like a good meal Hannah! But one question, you said it temped at 206... did probe slide in easily like into soft butter? Not a brisket expert but temp of 206 doesn't necessarily mean it's ready. Some go higher to become probe tender and a resting time is needed. Seems most dry brisket wasn't done yet.

Either way, sounds like you had some great time spent with your dad... and that's best gift anyone could get!

Ryan
Yes it slide in like butter. Went a bit too far.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky