Cutting Board Builds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do you guys use the boards when there that nice tho? Maybe just chop vegetables and not greasy meat?

Went by my local fancy hardwood store and found some awesome wood planks in the scrap bin. I'm gonna build some cutting boards to enhance some aesthetics of my pictures.

And because I'm a man and like to build things.

Here's the first build in the early design stages.
View attachment 390110

I'll throw some pictures up here as I get some done. I've got enough for 3 cutting boards and one small serving platter (for cheeses, breads, etc.).
Is this difficult to do? I need a good cutting board and making my own would be cool

Kinda like this axe that started as a piece of railroad And elm handle that started as a wood round. Most guys go to the store and buy half the project. I make it from scratch and have a lot of time into stuff. It was going to be for splitting my smoking wood next to the smoker but it’s too nice
5E433B4F-45DA-4487-A66D-E8961979ED35.jpeg
its not done yet either lol
A65B47B5-7320-4B30-829F-E35C99355069.jpeg
E4D3BBAA-9F08-461D-B36E-9085987CA0F6.jpeg
elm round behind the saw is the handle now
6FABAAF6-C3A8-40C1-B030-8274E03876E1.jpeg

Reactions: indaswamp and Jonok
What glue are you using?

I am asking because I have a friend who makes cutting boards and sells them on consignment through some of the galleries in Carmel. I've asked him what glue he uses and say he uses standard wood glue (you know, the slightly brownish stuff).

This seems like the wrong thing to use. I've seen what can happen if you use the wrong stuff because I had a cutting board I bought back in the 1970s which I left in the sink for about an hour before cleaning it. When I got around to doing the dishes I came back to a sink full of little floating, bobbing cubes of wood!

So, when I built some planters a few years later (about 1978), I used resorcinol glue. Those planters have been outside ever since, and are still out there today. The stuff was amazing, but you can't get it any more. As a result, I'm really interested in what glue to use for waterproof joining.

Reactions: Jonok
Made my own chainsaw mill so I could do this type of stuff actually and make tables and stuff. Just bought a bigger saw with 43” and 49” bar over the weekend it’s 111 cc. The one in the pic is a 85cc 064 with 32” bar
56E4F4C4-69F6-4DB8-B6E0-353C1D643A20.jpeg
Douglas fir
ED7CD701-FA80-47B9-932F-39FE23461882.jpeg
plum
918C1EAD-671D-48A7-B009-AB9571BAD82D.jpeg
the mill

Reactions: indaswamp
Poplar and walnut

Yup---Unmistakably "Green" Poplar Wood, if you live in an area where Poplar is Popular.
That's all I used for "Paint Grade" Cabinets, because it's the easiest to work with, and very few knots.
Around here the Poplar trees are mostly straight, and the lowest limb is at least at about 50'.
LOL---Not a good tree for archers, unless you have a climbing platform.
Known as a "Soft" Hardwood.

Bear

Moto, I love the fact that you polished out that piece of railroad steel and did all of that Al milling and fabrication and just left your beads the way you laid em.

Clearly a man proud of his work.

Reactions: motolife313
I only make end grain boards for family and friends and usually use Maple, Walnut, or Cherry. My youngest daughter loves purple, so I made her one with Maple and Purpleheart. It came out fairly good.

I have a Multi-wood Laminated Semi-Recurved Bow I bought when I was 15 years old (55 years ago).
It has one streak of "Purple Heart" running through it, from one end to the other. Very Pretty Bow.
The company "West Bow" was already out of business when I bought it used.

Bear

Reactions: retfr8flyr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky