Cut, Toss, or Keep As-Is?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the feedback all. I'd be more saddened if it were a Wagyu prime rib 🤣. Just gives me a chance to hit up Restaurant Depot or BJ's again!

Reactions: TNJAKE
That's throws me off as well. Maybe something was wrong before the cure. Just because you dumped some cure on it doesn't mean you can't have an unrelated issue
Yep...and that's why I'm probably pitching it - not worth the unknown cause/risk me thinks.

• 1 1/3 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
  • 5 Tablespoons coarse Kosher salt
  • 5 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
Was a 5lb piece, wrapped n Ziploc for 10 days, flipped and massage daily. Fridge at 37.
It is mold. Can't really say if it is a bad mold or not. I would rinse with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution to remove the mold. The reason why you have the mold is because you used too much sugars in your recipe. Never use sugar at more that 60% of the salt amount or you will get mold growth.

And with the coarse kosher salt, you might not have enough measuring by volume. Always weigh the salt when doing a cure. I recommend 1.5% salt, 1% sugar, 0.25% cure #1 as a basic bacon cure.

* If you are unsure, you can always slice 1/2" off where the mold grew after you wipe with the vinegar solution.

It is mold. Can't really say if it is a bad mold or not. I would rinse with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution to remove the mold. The reason why you have the mold is because you used too much sugars in your recipe. Never use sugar at more that 60% of the salt amount or you will get mold growth.

And with the coarse kosher salt, you might not have enough measuring by volume. Always weigh the salt when doing a cure. I recommend 1.5% salt, 1% sugar, 0.25% cure #1 as a basic bacon cure.

* If you are unsure, you can always slice 1/2" off where the mold grew after you wipe with the vinegar solution.
Once I do that, should I reseason it a bit and let it sit in fridge overnight to redevelop a pellicle before it's smoked? And silly question... white vinegar?

Thanks Keith. I thought the sugar might be an issue but couldn't be 100%

Once I do that, should I reseason it a bit and let it sit in fridge overnight to redevelop a pellicle before it's smoked? And silly question... white vinegar?
I'd add a light dusting of more salt for sure...then I would forgo a sit in the fridge and instead hang it with a fan on it until it has a pellicle (30-60 minutes) and smoke immediately. Are you cold smoking or hot smoking?

Last edited:
I'd add a light dusting or more salt for sure...then I would forgo a sit in the fridge and instead hang it with a fan on it until it has a pellicle (30-60 minutes) and smoke immediately. Are you cold smoking or hot smoking?
Hot...at 165. So white vinegar/water, dry for the hour abd smoke - thanks again!

I'll probably cut that end off just in case, it'll make slicing easier anyway 🙂

Reactions: indaswamp
No sour smell, so letting it sit in the solution for a few min and will rinse, dry, are SQL and will throw on smoker with he edge slicd off JIC

Reactions: rdknb

I agree it looks like mold, white mold, But,

• 1 1/3 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
  • 5 Tablespoons coarse Kosher salt
  • 5 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
Was a 5lb piece, wrapped n Ziploc for 10 days, flipped and massage daily. Fridge at 37.
1 Tbs of kosher salt is about 18 grams. So here we are applying 18 grams salt per pound of meat plus the cure #1. The salt alone is about 4% salt, then add the salt from the cure #1. This lends me to think that what looks like mold in the picture is actually salt that didn’t dissolve. Just a guess, but no mold will grow in an environment of ~4.25% salt.

Thanks again all....it was rinsed with the v/w mix, dried and the end squared off, just in case. On smoker last night and looks good so far. As of 6 AM, it's at 135, on its way to 155. I'll give it a test fry tonight and report back.

This thread and the help,is one of the reasons I'm glad I had already signed up as a Paid member!

Reactions: rdknb
Good morning all - the bacon is at 141 now, so will take it off probably at 145ish, rather than 155. I always fry up the bacon anyway :) So it'll end up being smoked at 165-170 for about 8 hours!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky