Cut, Toss, or Keep As-Is?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
So I pulled this out of the bag yesterday and patted it dry. It went uncovered in the fridge to form the pellicle. It looks fine except for the white stuff on the one jagged edge.

Was going to smoke it overnight, but? 1097FD69-A020-47D8-BCC1-B1F9F3BA376E.jpeg 7C7C2674-6436-4A88-8CE8-1C77ED49C30B.jpeg C338E26C-A4EA-4F4D-BE9A-C35E1DD9D6B6.jpeg 04F1CD5D-85AD-450B-B063-FDB9CC12AD76.jpeg

Thoughts and suggestions?

Reactions: JLeonard
  • 1 1/3 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
  • 5 Tablespoons coarse Kosher salt
  • 5 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
Was a 5lb piece, wrapped n Ziploc for 10 days, flipped and massage daily. Fridge at 37.

Last edited:
Its Mold . Looks fuzzy and starting to turn green . I would toss it myself . Not saying you should , but fuzzy mold is bad in my opinion .
At the moment, thinking same, but can't figure out how, and just that spot 😳

Was a 5lb piece, wrapped n Ziploc for 10 days, flipped and massage daily. Fridge at 37.
Is rec
I can't say what caused the mold. Maybe sugar? But it certainly is mold. You should look into measuring your cure and the rest of spices in grams and get away from the "tablespoon plus a teaspoon" measurements. I wouldn't eat it but also not recommending you should toss it until you get more feedback

I could be anything . Something touched that spot , or that could be the starting point . Is it fuzzy ?

Reactions: TNJAKE
I could be anything . Something touched that spot , or that could be the starting point . Is it fuzzy ?
Honestly fuzzy or not I wouldn't eat meat with mold unless I purposely put the mold there myself like in some charcuterie. But I'm curious as well. I'm sure he knows what mold looks like. GrumpyGriller GrumpyGriller do you think it's mold?

My first thought was mold as well....just po'd for losing 10 days of effort. Guess it’s time to defrost the other piece and start again. Oh well.

Cause people are telling him to pitch it. The cure looks close to me without doing the calculations
Nobody here said pitch it. I said I wouldn't eat it but wait for more advice. chopsaw chopsaw also didn't say pitch it. Just that he wouldn't eat it. But you say cut the mold off and eat it with no reasoning other than "cause people are telling him to pitch it".

Last edited:
Cure penetrates from the surface to the center is why I'm concerned. You have surface mold
That's why it doesn't make sense. Flipping and massaging the bag 9 days in a row wouldn't lead to missed spots I'd think. At the moment, strongly leaning towards dumping it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Nobody here said pitch it. I said I wouldn't eat it but wait for more advice. chopsaw chopsaw also didn't say pitch it. Just that he wouldn't eat it. But you say cut the mold off and eat it with no reasoning other than "cause people are telling him to pitch it". Maybe you shouldn't give food safety advice?

If you read my post I said the cure looks close without doing the calculations
And I said I would catch hell for posting what I did, I wasn't wrong. Have a good evening

Reactions: kawboy
That's why it doesn't make sense. Flipping and massaging the bag 9 days in a row wouldn't lead to missed spots I'd think. At the moment, strongly leaning towards dumping it.
That's throws me off as well. Maybe something was wrong before the cure. Just because you dumped some cure on it doesn't mean you can't have an unrelated issue

If you read my post I said the cure looks close without doing the calculations
And I said I would catch hell for posting what I did, I wasn't wrong. Have a good evening
Was just pointing out nobody said "pitch it". There are people here smarter than me or you who can make that call

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky