Custom Built 54" T-Pit For Sale: NW Of Austin TX (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Excellent condition, custom built 54" two-door T-Pit. This was a custom design I came up with and had built, which is a spin-off of a design I saw a fabricator building in North Texas and had him build it for me. Fabrication was done by Chad Johnson at Johnson Smokers. This innovative design is extremely efficient from a standpoint of fuel usage and temperature control. There is a huge heat deflector between the fire box and cook chamber which diverts the heat to the ends creating a reverse flow configuration from both ends. In this manner you can attain perfectly balanced temps top to bottom and left to right. One interesting concept with the design however is that the heat deflector can be shifted one way or another. This will allow you to damp down one end, open up the other, and have different temps at each end. You can do a brisket on one end at 275 and ribs on the other end at 235 effortlessly. The entire pit is made from 1/4" plate steel for great heat retention. I changed out the stock thermometers with Tel True competition grade thermometers which are spot on accurate. There are ports in each end of the cook chamber to run remote thermometers into the body of the cook chamber to monitor your meat temps. The smoker has been under a covered porch since new and covered when not in use. It is in excellent condition with not a spot of rust anywhere. The only reason I'm selling it is because I just fabricated an insulated vertical cabinet smoker and this one does not get used any more. I really need to free up some patio space, which you'll see and understand with the last pic.

I have this listed on Craig's List for $1800 but for the forum, I'm asking $1600. These are selling new for just under $3000 so the price I'm asking is very fair based on the excellent condition of the pit. The smoker is located in Lago Vista, which is just northwest of Austin. Please send a PM if interested or you have questions that I did not cover.
022.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

023.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

Cover and galvanized drip buckets included of course. Thank you for looking.

Robert

Hi tx smoker tx smoker is this still available? And what exactly did you have modified about it from the original Johnson design? It sounds like you maybe had it shortened by about a foot.

Hi tx smoker tx smoker is this still available? And what exactly did you have modified about it from the original Johnson design? It sounds like you maybe had it shortened by about a foot.

It's still in the garage but one of my builders is supposed to be coming to get it. No date set though so it's still open ended at this point.

I had to go back and check. Apparently Chad has changed his standard / base smoker from when I had mine built. At that time the standard cook chamber was 42" (if I remember correctly) and there was only one door. I had mine made a foot bigger and added the second door.

Robert

Well, sounds like someone's getting a great smoker. Let me know if the builder falls through. I'm in San Antonio, and I'd be happy to drive up with a trailer and take it off your hands.

Hi Robert,

Beautiful smoker. Did your builder ever come and pick it up?
Thanks!
As of yet he has not come to get it. It's still sitting under a cover in my garage. Side note though: last week I broke out the industrial power washer, tore the smoker down and blasted everything clean inside and out. Once dried I got out the spray rig and shot a good coat of high temp paint on the entire thing so it looks brand new and is basically spotless.

Robert

As of yet he has not come to get it. It's still sitting under a cover in my garage. Side note though: last week I broke out the industrial power washer, tore the smoker down and blasted everything clean inside and out. Once dried I got out the spray rig and shot a good coat of high temp paint on the entire thing so it looks brand new and is basically spotless.

Robert
Wow, he’s missing out! It’s hard to tell from the pictures - is there a wall between the two chambers? I’m wondering if you could fit a packer brisket or something longer across the whole cooking chamber? Would you mind sharing the measurements? (Is 54” the total length of the cooking chamber ?).
Thank you!,
Sarah

PS. I’m super interested, would just need to figure out how to get it to SF :/

is there a wall between the two chambers?
No, there is not a wall dividing the cook chamber. It is wide open end to end.
I’m wondering if you could fit a packer brisket or something longer across the whole cooking chamber?
You wouldn't need to span the two grates to get a full packer in there. Both cooking grates are more than large enough for a brisket. Believe me, I've done quite a few on this thing :emoji_wink:
Would you mind sharing the measurements? (Is 54” the total length of the cooking chamber ?).
Thank you!,
The cook chamber is 54" long and 24" in diameter.
I’m super interested, would just need to figure out how to get it to SF
By "SF" do you mean San Francisco....or South Florida? I'm hoping that is a typo and you mean SA as in San Antonio. I might be able to help if that's the case :emoji_laughing:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky