Curing Chamber Humidity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flint76

Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Hey all, I ahve delved into the world of curing meat! I have read Salumi from cover to cover 5 times , what a great book! I am using a mini fridge to start with. I ahve a full set of digital controllers from inkbird and added an exhaust fan. for humidity I am using a water pan. evrything is working greAT! however i know in the book 70% is the reccomended hunmidtiy. I am able to keep it at no more than 75% but am having a hard time getting it to 70% . I ahve also read on another website that up to 77% is ok. If I ahve to I could crack the door open. I am not really worried about mold growth as I have pottassium soprbate already applied. I am just making a few pieces of lonzino/lomo so its whole muscles nothing ground ATM.I am just looking for your thoughts on t he matter. Am I ok at my current humidity?

He's branching out... One busy dude...

27750602_1785961201697713_6359302228975199231_n.jpg

At the Las Vegas convention center...
30709826_10215960569557230_8960414887995365555_n.jpg

I've been reading about smoking natural casing sausage... Case hardening happens with them also... The casing can get leather like.. Humidity is supposed to be up around 90% after initial drying to keep the casing supple and have a good snap when eating... I have NOT figured out how to do that... Maybe the STPP will keep the meat moist enough to eliminate that problem... I do know my snack sticks in collage casings come out very good and I use STPP in sticks... haven't tried it in my hot, spicy Italian sausages yet...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky