Time to dust off my chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Well its been over 4 years since I made any Dry Cured products. Many other interests just took over but since I still have all my equipment it was time to clean up and fine tune the curing chamber. Had to reread the instructions on my auber pid controllers LOL
Did a couple of test runs at keeping temps and humidity where they were set to. One of my temp and humidity monitors bit the dust but my other three seem to be working just fine. The one that bit the dust I liked as I could hook it up to my computer and graph the temps and humidity. Good way to document the products from start to finish.

Now time to go to the bank and get a loan so I can buy some meat icon_lol.gif

RCkbMsw.jpg

You can pick up a Govee to monitor the temp and humidity...it will give you a graph. Data can be sent wireless to your phone.

Also, I recommend covering the front of that class fridge with either very dark tint or aluminum foil to block out light. It can cause fats to go rancid faster....

Reactions: SmokinEdge
You can pick up a Govee to monitor the temp and humidity...it will give you a graph. Data can be sent wireless to your phone.

Also, I recommend covering the front of that class fridge with either very dark tint or aluminum foil to block out light. It can cause fats to go rancid faster....
Ya I have one on order.
The room is a spare bedroom with a very dark curtain on the window so it is a dark room. It has made plenty of dry meats in the past but thanks for you comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
Got anything hanging yet??
No I actually had a humidifier failure on a test run and had to order a new one which just came in. Just have not found the time to run into town and get the needed meats. Hopefully soon. Also got the Govee WiFi Digital Thermometer Hygrometer from Amazon and some 4" X 20" Clear Fibrous Casings - 10 Count. I'm getting there LOL

Quick question about your chamber. I picked up essentially the same cooler unit you have, it has the refridge unit on top and blows into the space below. How are you keeping your airflow regulated or restricted? Im in the process of picking up pieces and parts for my chamber and im trying to come up with a way to cool the space without all the air dumping in causing potential case hardening.

Any insight would be appreciated
Corey

Quick question about your chamber. I picked up essentially the same cooler unit you have, it has the refridge unit on top and blows into the space below. How are you keeping your airflow regulated or restricted? Im in the process of picking up pieces and parts for my chamber and im trying to come up with a way to cool the space without all the air dumping in causing potential case hardening.

Corey
Well the last time I used it I had one 4 inch hole drilled on the side near the top with a 4 inch 2 speed computer fan set on low. I also had one 4 inch hole drilled on the other side at the bottom. What I am finding with the fan running and the holes open I have a hard time controlling humidity. Perhaps to much air flow. Right now I have them duct taped over and during my test runs I was averaging 85 percent RH with about a 5% swing. So I figure I am going to give that a try as it seems to me the sweet spot. Also I found once the temp leveled out the cooler part does not come on to often which is great as its a noisy beast LOL.

So basically I had a hole on the bottom and one on the top on the other side. The one on the top had the fan drawing air out on low speed.
Not even sure where I put that fan. Might be in a old computer in the basement. Better find it just in case I need it :emoji_wink:
EKiAgOp.jpg

Corey
I suggest removing the stock fan and replacing with a smaller computer fan for lower airflow much like what Cajuneric @ 2 Guys and a Cooler did on his beverage fridge chamber...he has a video up...he talks about airflow @ the 2:55 minute mark; but the whole video is a good primer on getting a chamber up and running...

Reactions: Coreymacc
What is your thought on restricting the flow rather then replacing the fan with a smaller one?

Well I am in the process of trying just that. Restricking air flow from the chambers cooling fan. Right off I can see very little movement from the cool mister. Before when it kicked on you could see a downward flow of mist but now it just seems to stay in one spot.
Still early but seems to have made a improvement although the cooling is kicking on a lot more. Temp set at 55 F, getting a reading of 55.9 F
Humidity set to 85RH, getting a reading of 84.6 RH
Both are averages over an hour.
Everything will change when you put meat in there but it gives you an idea of what to expect. Going to let this run over night. Will see if it makes any difference.

Hang strings is the best way I know to gauge airflow....they still use this method in the parma ham drying houses in Italy. the end of the string should barely move....less than 1/8" in a circle..

Well I tied 8 strings where anything would get hung. When everything kicked in the strings did not move at all. So is that good or bad? Should there be some movement? Guessing that would depend on RH and dripping white mod which I have never had but then again I did have that 2 speed computer fan installed before. When I get around to this I will just do small batches to get it dialed in.
Lots of good information from Victor here:

Strings in my chamber don't move at all.

I can see barely a wiggle in some of the strings....barely. Will the fan be on continuously or intermittently? I'd err on less airflow rather than more...but that's just me.

If the airflow is not strong enough you will get aggressive mold growth because moisture is not being removed from the surface efficiently enough...i.e. the surface will be too wet, which encourages mold growth.
I'd hold off increasing the airflow until I hang some product...let it tell you what you need to do. Judge the level of case hardening and go from there.

Answer to your question- yes, you should have some air movement...for salami; approx. 4" per second....which is about what a end of a string moving around in a 1/8" circle would be.

Now you can have a little higher airflow at the start; say first 10 days, then it should be reduced as the salami dries more. So hang your new product where you have the most airflow...

OK I added the 2 speed fan at the bottom hole blowing in. Set to the low setting. The small fan on top is exhausting the air. Before doing this I was get a 10% swing on humidity and now it seems to be more of a 5% swing. As for the strings moving, if they are it is really hard to tell at least for me.
Screenshot_20230408_135412_Govee Home.jpg

I would not have the air exchange fans running all the time. Not necessary...unless you live in a dry environment and you are using the air exchange to drop/control RH%.

Air exchange for a dry curing chamber is to maintain oxygen levels for robust beneficial mold growth, which needs oxygen to grow.

Still winter here in Northern Ontario so the furnace runs 24\7 most days. The fans add minimal air flow. Like I said the strings do not move. They have evened out my RH swings a lot. Every chamber is different and this seems to be working on this one. Time will tell.

Some of the things I have dry cured over the years in my chamber.

Attachments

• 0Patsdr.jpg
    0Patsdr.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20171228_195718.jpg
    20171228_195718.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20171229_104843.jpg
    20171229_104843.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 6
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky