• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cure Fresh and Smoke or Store "Smoked" and then Double Smoke?

TheGrumpyGriller

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 29, 2021
Looking to do an Easter ham and trying to decide if I should cure a fresh ham (7 day?) and then smoke it, or get a store-bought "smoked ham" and double-smoke it using something like Bear's recipe?

Will the fresh route give me a "better" tasting smoked ham, or am I over-complicating things?

Thanks as always!
-GG

TheGrumpyGriller

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 29, 2021
Yeah....not some much worried about botching it, more about the timing. When I did my bacon with Popo's Brine, it cured for 14 days and then rested before smoking for 4 more. If 7 days isn't enough to get the ham set, I'll probably go double-smoked as suggested.

Thanks!

TheGrumpyGriller

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 29, 2021
Thanks again all....I’ve already ordered the ham, got the spices all ready for the glaze. I’ll report back after it’s all done and digested next week.

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
I was just going to post this. I still go 14 days but thats just me. My hams a 30 lbs. But still 5 days would be long enough.
Yes sir. This is a delicious ham recipe.
as to time, you really can’t over cure with this recipe. Best ham recipe shared on the web.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.