Cure Fresh and Smoke or Store "Smoked" and then Double Smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
Looking to do an Easter ham and trying to decide if I should cure a fresh ham (7 day?) and then smoke it, or get a store-bought "smoked ham" and double-smoke it using something like Bear's recipe?

Will the fresh route give me a "better" tasting smoked ham, or am I over-complicating things?

Thanks as always!
-GG

Yeah....not some much worried about botching it, more about the timing. When I did my bacon with Popo's Brine, it cured for 14 days and then rested before smoking for 4 more. If 7 days isn't enough to get the ham set, I'll probably go double-smoked as suggested.

Thanks!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thanks again all....I’ve already ordered the ham, got the spices all ready for the glaze. I’ll report back after it’s all done and digested next week.

I was just going to post this. I still go 14 days but thats just me. My hams a 30 lbs. But still 5 days would be long enough.
Yes sir. This is a delicious ham recipe.
as to time, you really can’t over cure with this recipe. Best ham recipe shared on the web.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky