Cure#1 & jerky ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckinducks

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 4, 2014
Canada
I recently bought a food scale and want to test it out.
Doing 3 pounds jerky, whole muscle meat.

Diggindog calculator says for 3#
3.4 grams cure #1
24.03 grams salt
13.61 grams sugar

Would like to cancel the salt as don't want it to be salty , and plan on putting soy in the brine.

Is overnight a long enough time to be cured ? If not can it be in the brine too long ? Say Thursday evening to Saturday ?
Basically going to mix up the recipe on the spot for all other flavorings, however does the above calculations sound like it will work ?

If your meat is in 1/4" thick strips or less than yes overnight is long enough to cure. Thursday to Saturday is fine, depending on the seasonings it might come out stronger flavor wise.

I use a pretty simple recipe (with cure #1) then I add dry seasonings after the cure if I want to change the flavor profile. I use Digging Dogs Calculator for the cure, but not for the salt or sugar when doing jerky.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/233270/thai-jerky

If your meat is in 1/4" thick strips or less than yes overnight is long enough to cure. Thursday to Saturday is fine, depending on the seasonings it might come out stronger flavor wise.

I use a pretty simple recipe (with cure #1) then I add dry seasonings after the cure if I want to change the flavor profile. I use Digging Dogs Calculator for the cure, but not for the salt or sugar when doing jerky.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/233270/thai-jerky
Thanks just the info needed , thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky