Crispy Garlic Parmesan Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have seen a lot of recipes that call for tossing chicken in baking powder to get a very crispy skin. I decided it was time to give it a try. Spoiler alert, it works.

I started with 600 grams (1 1/2 pounds) chicken wing segments. I patted them dry with a paper towel.

I put 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder and 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt in a plastic bag. Add the chicken wings and shake to coat.

Crispy Garlic Parmesan Wings 01.jpg

I preheated my smoker to 250 F (120 C).

I put the wings in the smoker for 30 minutes. I increased the temperature in the smoker to 425 F (220 C) and cooked until the skin was golden and crispy. It took about 40 minutes but it will be faster if your smoker gives a lot of direct heat.

Crispy Garlic Parmesan Wings 02.jpg

Make a garlic parmesan sauce by mixing:

• 50 ml (1/4 cup) melted butter
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) grated parmesan
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Italian seasonings
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Wings 03.jpg

Put the wings in a bowl and add the sauce and toss to coat.

Crispy Garlic Parmesan Wings 04.jpg

Crispy Garlic Parmesan Wings 05.jpg

The Verdict

The skin on the wings was incredibly crispy. You could use this technique and then toss the wings in any sauce you like to get crispy wings.

However, I find the crispiness is a little dry on the wings. I really liked it but I don’t know that it is “better” than regular smoked wings. It is more like it is different.

I will use the technique again but I won’t be giving up on my traditional way of making wings.

As for the sauce, it was very tasty and totally different than the usual Buffalo or other wing sauces. It has a leaning toward French cooking with lots of herbs, garlic and the salty taste of the Parmesan. Delicious!

Disco

Those look excellent!

I saw a suggested video on using baking powder on a steak and thought it click bait. Going to have to check it out now.

I've only done wings once on my new smoker (Char-griller 980) and they were not crispy. I will give this technique a try, those look great!

Reactions: disco
I've only done wings once on my new smoker (Char-griller 980) and they were not crispy. I will give this technique a try, those look great!

Thanks. They are so crispy the click!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky