Creekstone Farms Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

okie sawbones

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Edgewood, TX
I purchased a few packages of St. Louis ribs and opened the first package yesterday. The ribs had a weird sulphury gas smell. I just assumed they used a preservative gas when packaging, and I went ahead and cooked the ribs. My wife thought there was a slight off taste, but I didn't perceive it. We didn't get sick, so the meat must have been okay.

Has anyone else had this experience?

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I’ve had nothing but good luck and high quality product from Creekstone but I buy beef from them exclusively and just today ordered a whole prime rib roast.

Did your package arrive frozen or thawed?

I’ve had nothing but good luck and high quality product from Creekstone but I buy beef from them exclusively and just today ordered a whole prime rib roast.

Did your package arrive frozen or thawed?

Fresh, not frozen, and very cold. Thanks.

I buy a lot of product from Ceekstone and have never had that issue. All my products come in fully frozen and well packed, but could be a location thing. As bbqprep bbqprep said I would give them a call.

I have had similar odor from multi packs from big box stores. And have not trusted the smell enough to go through the effort of cooking them.

Reactions: mneeley490
I buy a lot of product from Ceekstone and have never had that issue. All my products come in fully frozen and well packed, but could be a location thing. As bbqprep bbqprep said I would give them a call.

I have had similar odor from multi packs from big box stores. And have not trusted the smell enough to go through the effort of cooking them.

Well it was definitely there. I have other packages purchased at the same time, but have yet to open one to see if it was just a single issue. I wrote Creekstone, but they never bothered to reply to my email. This will probably be my last purchase from them. They could have at least had the courtesy to respond to an inquiry.

I discovered that if you read the entire description it tells you if the item is shipped fresh or frozen. In the case of my prime rib roast it says it ships fresh. Which worked out fine as I wet aged it for another 14 days then sliced ten 1" thick steaks from it and was still left with a five pound roast.

I would give Creekstone a call and give them a chance to resolve it for you before I would go to the extreme of never ordering from them again. Once in cyberspace a lot of things can happen to a email.

Reactions: okie sawbones
I haven't tried CreekStone but yes, I agree that you should call them.

As a small business that gets a LOT of email, our warehouse gets complaints sometimes from people saying,

"this is the 3rd email I've sent and if you don't respond within 24 hours, I'm going to cancel my order and stop payment on my credit card"

This is frustrating since, that is the first email We've received and have no record of any other emails coming in.

Larger companies like Creekstone probably have phone support so I would call them directly and see what they say.

Then, If they then don't bend over backwards to take care of your issue, fire them.

Reactions: okie sawbones
I've only tried Creekstone once and it was St Louis ribs as well.
They weren't frozen but ice cold and I never noticed an odd smell. Excellent packaging!
They were uniform in size and pretty in the cryovac, but kind of small.
The problem for me was that one end of them was between 4" and 6" of floppy meat with no bones (the stuff I cut off when trimming my own STL).
I also remember thinking they must have been really small pigs....
I have no issues with Creekstone but I doubt I'll ever order shipped meat again from anyone. High prices and low weights on the sites I've checked out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky