craigslist makes me mad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinstevo27

Master of the Pit
Original poster
I've been looking for a used weber smokey mountain cooker high and low and twice now I've thought I found one only to realize the seller was a liar. The first guy had an email conversation with me and assured me he had what I wanted after I asked him detailed questions. I drove almost an hour out to the middle of BFE to buy it and he had a charbroil electric smoker. Nothing wrong with that smoker its just not what I wanted. He had told me it was a wsm. It was all I could do to not give him a serious tongue lashing and a smack in the chops. Yesterday I saw a post on CL advertising a wsm and looked at the picture and it was a cajun cooker! I emailed the guy and told him he shouldn't be lying because someone who didn't know any better could have bought it for a friend or loved one. Its disappointing that people are so dishonest. I was going to get myself a 18.5 for Christmas but as some of you know I've got more important things to pay for coming up pretty soon lol. Anyway I knew no one else would want to hear my ranting about a smoker but I'm pretty sure you boys and girls feel my pain haha. Have any of you had a similar situation with Craigslist?
icon_evil.gif

Last edited:
I won't drive that far without at least seeing a picture of the item now. I ran into that a couple times looking for a Weber Performer. Very frustrating.

Craigslist is full of scammers, but there are legitimate sellers there too.

I buy and sell a lot on Craigslist, and have had a few experiences with scammers.

Keep on looking, but ask for pics next time.

Todd

In both cases, i have to wonder if the sellers just simply didn't know there was a difference or if they were legitimately trying to fool you into buying something that you didn't want.

With craigslist being a free service that anyone can post anything on, you sort of take your chances.  I mean, paid for classifieds in the newspaper at least require the seller pays something for the privilege, but even then you can run into these issues.

I build and sell cornhole boards, and even after sending a detailed description, photos and more, I drove to meet the buyer and he looked at the boards and said to me "That's not what I wanted, you wasted my time and money, etc etc".  I apologized, since I felt I did all I could to make sure he knew what he was asking for and would be receiving.  Since that day, I won't sell to anyone more than 30 minutes from home, I drove nearly 2 hours to make $20 just to help a guy out.  And instead, I got dressed down.

It happens, ask for photos and don't drive ANYWHERE unless you're fairly sure you know what you're getting.  I have lots of luck on Craigslist for many things.

The guy I drove an hr for had no camera, I don't know what he was thinking. I guess he thought if I didn't have a smoker I might just buy what he had.

Craigslist is full of scammers, but there are legitimate sellers there too.

I buy and sell a lot on Craigslist, and have had a few experiences with scammers.

Keep on looking, but ask for pics next time.

Todd

Bill, I know what your saying but when you are talking about a specific brand and specific type of cooker there isn't any gray area. I had a back and forth email with this guy and he flat out lied about what he had. I had no reason to doubt the man after all the questions and emails. Not a big deal I'm just being a whiner.

Bill, I know what your saying but when you are talking about a specific brand and specific type of cooker there isn't any gray area. I had a back and forth email with this guy and he flat out lied about what he had. I had no reason to doubt the man after all the questions and emails. Not a big deal I'm just being a whiner.

I wouldn't call it being a whiner, especially if you went into all that detail with the guy.  I just know that some people don't know what they have, no matter what you ask them about.  LOL

Sorry you had a bad experience, it does happen unfortunately.

Man, that sucks, Stevo!  I've had nothing but great luck and no issues with craigslist. Got my CSE there! And my lynx propane grill. And my daughter's dining table. And a kayak.  I do love me some craigslist.   believe me, there are next to no smokers on the used market in these parts, and you really have to figure out what's what at times. If there isn't a pic on the ad, I pretty much ignore it.  There are plenty of sellers who haven't done their homework, and that can be seriously frustrating when we know our stuff!  Sorry you got skunked, but don't give up! Luck is when opportunity meets preparation - especially when you're looking for a good deal on something!

I've bought and sold on Cl with no problems on several occasions. I should have titled the thread differently. I just ran into a couple of clowns, guess I shouldn't have knocked the site itself. I'm sure there are more honest folks than there are cons.

Man, that sucks, Stevo!  I've had nothing but great luck and no issues with craigslist. Got my CSE there! And my lynx propane grill. And my daughter's dining table. And a kayak.  I do love me some craigslist.   believe me, there are next to no smokers on the used market in these parts, and you really have to figure out what's what at times. If there isn't a pic on the ad, I pretty much ignore it.  There are plenty of sellers who haven't done their homework, and that can be seriously frustrating when we know our stuff!  Sorry you got skunked, but don't give up! Luck is when opportunity meets preparation - especially when you're looking for a good deal on something!

Craigslist is like many other thing, 90% of the people or transactions are positive, and 10% are scammers or bad deals.  The problem is, we only hear of the "Bad Deals".

Last year, a local guy advertised on CL for a babysitter.  When the girl showed up, he shot her in the head for absolutely no reason whatsoever!!!  For this very reason, I always give the address to my wife and let her know where I'm going.  I was in "The Hood" buying a Hotdog furnace for my garage, and left my phone open the whole time, so my wife could hear my conversation.  The transaction went good, but I wasn't taking any chances!!

Last year, I sold over $18,000 in toys and equipment on Craigslist, with good luck.  Of course, you get a few scammers once and a while, but I just ignore them.  If it's a transaction with a lot of "CASH", I always meet inside my bank.  If they are legitimate, they will not have an issue with meeting at a public place.

If I need a specialty piece of equipment for a job, like scaffolding or aluminum planks, I've purchased them on CL and sold them when I'm done.  Cheaper than renting them!

Keep Hunting!!

Todd

I guess it depends on whereyou are.....in Southeastern CT/RI the people are rpetty good about using cameras and being upfront.....I have cleaned up on CL this year....buying a huge upright vertical propane water smoker, a vast array of cast iron cookware, a chiminea to keep me warm while smoking in the winter weather, a deep fryer, a rotissery....it's awesome! Sorry you goy burned man.....but like a few people said: unless you get a close-up of the item it's not even worth the trip because people are either A: stupid B: think you are stupid or C: both.

Merry Xmas all......I did a ham frm scratch yesterday....using S Carolina mustard sauce.....that vinegar tang is unlike anything we have up here...BRAVO!!!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but I like to read about both positive & negative experiences. Can take good information away from both. Good luck on your search!

yeah I saw that one Dean. New they are $400 so if your going to spend 3 you may as well just spend another hundred and get a brand new one. I've looked for 5 months all over the state and thats the first one I have seen.

Steve, did you see this one in Raleigh http://raleigh.craigslist.org/hsh/2084119637.html   ?  $300 seems a bit much for used one, but just thought I'd post it.  I've kept my eye out for a WSM on CL too and this is the only one I've run across so far.

What an awful CL story!  Wow!   
eek.gif

Good post, though.  I agree; you just have to be savvy and conduct your business in such a way that filters out as many scammers as possible.  My daughter got on CL looking for a horse, and found one that someone was giving away for *free* ASAP in another state.  She was all excited, but I told her to email the woman back and ask some questions, knowing full well it was probably a scam.  You can just tell sometimes by the wording, etc., kwim?  Of course, come to find out, the horse was free, but she needed help with "shipping" the horse.  Mm-hmm.  Good lesson for the oldest girl.  
Craigslist is like many other thing, 90% of the people or transactions are positive, and 10% are scammers or bad deals.  The problem is, we only hear of the "Bad Deals".

Last year, a local guy advertised on CL for a babysitter.  When the girl showed up, he shot her in the head for absolutely no reason whatsoever!!!  For this very reason, I always give the address to my wife and let her know where I'm going.  I was in "The Hood" buying a Hotdog furnace for my garage, and left my phone open the whole time, so my wife could hear my conversation.  The transaction went good, but I wasn't taking any chances!!

Last year, I sold over $18,000 in toys and equipment on Craigslist, with good luck.  Of course, you get a few scammers once and a while, but I just ignore them.  If it's a transaction with a lot of "CASH", I always meet inside my bank.  If they are legitimate, they will not have an issue with meeting at a public place.

If I need a specialty piece of equipment for a job, like scaffolding or aluminum planks, I've purchased them on CL and sold them when I'm done.  Cheaper than renting them!

Keep Hunting!!

Todd

Agree, that's the same thought I had.  If I'm going to pay $300 I'll spend the extra hundred for a new one.  The guy has been posting for a few weeks, he may be open to offers.
yeah I saw that one Dean. New they are $400 so if your going to spend 3 you may as well just spend another hundred and get a brand new one. I've looked for 5 months all over the state and thats the first one I have seen.

Steve, did you see this one in Raleigh http://raleigh.craigslist.org/hsh/2084119637.html   ?  $300 seems a bit much for used one, but just thought I'd post it.  I've kept my eye out for a WSM on CL too and this is the only one I've run across so far.

Dean I just offered him 200 so we'll see what he says. You can find the 18.5 online for about 250 but it would be cool to have the big boy. That thing is a monster.
Agree, that's the same thought I had.  If I'm going to pay $300 I'll spend the extra hundred for a new one.  The guy has been posting for a few weeks, he may be open to offers.

After the holidays I'm hoping the Mrs will authorize me buying the 22.5.  She has started asking how many smokers I need! LOL  
Dean I just offered him 200 so we'll see what he says. You can find the 18.5 online for about 250 but it would be cool to have the big boy. That thing is a monster.

I got Amelia a $130 dollar toothbrush, I think my smoker would have been more practical...the things we do for love.
hissyfit.gif

After the holidays I'm hoping the Mrs will authorize me buying the 22.5.  She has started asking how many smokers I need! LOL  

Keep Hunting!!

Todd
I think the IRS is looking for their cut of this LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky