COVID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Got-It---Guys!!! We were Shot Today!!
Went Well---I didn't even feel the normal "Pinch".
Only there about 25 minutes.
Lady said "Which Arm?"
I said, "better do the left----I don't want any holes in my Art-work (Tattoo on right Shoulder)."
Second Dose scheduled for March 29th.

Bear
congrats

Yup---The only people we see is Bear Jr, and his Wife, Bethany, and they wear masks whenever they come to our house. One of them comes here every other Tuesday, as they pick up our Groceries @ Giant, and take them to their house, wipe all the packages down, and then bring ours to our house.
Vaccinations sure would make me feel a little better about the whole thing, but We'll still take all the precautions. It's just the Right & Smart thing to do!

Bear
Bear, you can't get it at the VA? My dad got it no problem at the Scranton
VA? My 86 year old mom has not been so lucky in PA yet.

NVM...mind should have read till the end of the thread...Glad you got it!... For anyone else looking at a waldgreens or similar booking site, if they show you an out of state location, no matter how close it is to you, they will probably deny you for being out of state.

Last edited:
I'm sitting in the observation area after getting first Pfizer dose. Well organized setup here at the local community college. Bunch of old farts here. Guess I qualify. Really tempted to fart, now.

I guess that means the Social Distancing will have to be Extended Considerably!!

Bear

Reactions: noboundaries
A week plus after "recovering" from my bout with COVID and a couple more observations. I feel tired a lot, but I try to stay going. Still have a metallic taste in my mouth, but everything tastes normal other than that. Wife is back to work "saving lives while others sleep" as her porch flag says.

One final thing that I'm experiencing is that something is a little off with me (I've always been accused of being a little off:emoji_wink:). I can't exactly put my finger on it, but something is different. Other than the fatigue, I feel fine just not the same as before and I'm not sure what it is. Kind of like my centerline has shifted or something. Hard to explain.

A week plus after "recovering" from my bout with COVID and a couple more observations. I feel tired a lot, but I try to stay going. Still have a metallic taste in my mouth, but everything tastes normal other than that. Wife is back to work "saving lives while others sleep" as her porch flag says.

One final thing that I'm experiencing is that something is a little off with me (I've always been accused of being a little off:emoji_wink:). I can't exactly put my finger on it, but something is different. Other than the fatigue, I feel fine just not the same as before and I'm not sure what it is. Kind of like my centerline has shifted or something. Hard to explain.
I was talking to a guy that said his core balance was a little off after his bout with C19. He noticed it first when walking down stairs in the home he's lived in for 20 years.

I was talking to a guy that said his core balance was a little off after his bout with C19. He noticed it first when walking down stairs in the home he's lived in for 20 years.
That could very well be what's up with me. It's just a weird feeling.

They have been talking about & looking into problems people have been having after having Covid. They're calling them "Long Haulers".
The list of long hauler symptoms is long, wide and inconsistent. For some people, the lasting coronavirus symptoms are nothing like the original symptoms when they were first infected with COVID-19. The most common long hauler symptoms include:

• Coughing
  • Ongoing, sometimes debilitating, fatigue
  • Body aches
  • Joint pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Loss of taste and smell — even if this didn’t occur during the height of illness
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Headaches
  • Brain fog
Brain fog is among the most confusing symptoms for long haulers. Patients report being unusually forgetful, confused or unable to concentrate even enough to watch TV. This can happen to people who were in an intensive care unit for a while, but it’s relatively rare. However, it is happening to a variety of patients, including those who weren’t hospitalized.

Some people have reported feeling better for days or even weeks then relapsing. For others, it’s a case of just not feeling like themselves.

Bear

Almost 3 months out of hospital and my brother in law is still using oxygen daily. Extreme fatigue and brain fog. He does say he can feel improvement but very slowly. At the 6mo checkup his doctor wants to check for permanent lung damage

They have been talking about & looking into problems people have been having after having Covid. They're calling them "Long Haulers".
The list of long hauler symptoms is long, wide and inconsistent. For some people, the lasting coronavirus symptoms are nothing like the original symptoms when they were first infected with COVID-19. The most common long hauler symptoms include:

• Coughing
  • Ongoing, sometimes debilitating, fatigue
  • Body aches
  • Joint pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Loss of taste and smell — even if this didn’t occur during the height of illness
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Headaches
  • Brain fog
Brain fog is among the most confusing symptoms for long haulers. Patients report being unusually forgetful, confused or unable to concentrate even enough to watch TV. This can happen to people who were in an intensive care unit for a while, but it’s relatively rare. However, it is happening to a variety of patients, including those who weren’t hospitalized.

Some people have reported feeling better for days or even weeks then relapsing. For others, it’s a case of just not feeling like themselves.

Bear

"Brain Fog", that kind of sounds like it. Just not feeling like I did. I wasn't in the hospital and never really felt like I needed to be, have always been forgetful, but I don't feel confused, just off center somewhat.

"Brain Fog", that kind of sounds like it. Just not feeling like I did. I wasn't in the hospital and never really felt like I needed to be, have always been forgetful, but I don't feel confused, just off center somewhat.

It's getting to be a big thing. Just do a search of "Long Haulers", and check it out.

Bear

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I feel real lucky I don't have any of the long hauler symptoms. I am coming up on a year since I caught it in NY the week the city shut down. The only long term affect is my hair on my head has stopped growing. My beard grows but I haven't gotten by hair cut since December 2019.

My biggest worry from the beginning of this was never the mortality rate. Everyone was up in arms a year ago about "oh it's only 4% mortality". First of all that's 4 people out of 100(simple math for simple people), and that's a ridiculous amount in my opinion. Then as it fell all I heard was "see it's only 1%"...still that's 1 out of 100. But my fear was the long term effects on people. The obvious is the negative impact on their lungs, but that also could lead to complications/strain on the heart and brain. Then as it progressed we starting hearing about the rarer, but troubling after-affects like hair/taste loss. The brain fog, exhaustion, I've had a customer talk about how during their run-in with it that their back was on fire to the point that wearing a shirt was painful.

I care about how many this virus kills, but it worries me more how many more will suffer the long term issues from this.

My biggest worry from the beginning of this was never the mortality rate. Everyone was up in arms a year ago about "oh it's only 4% mortality". First of all that's 4 people out of 100(simple math for simple people), and that's a ridiculous amount in my opinion. Then as it fell all I heard was "see it's only 1%"...still that's 1 out of 100. But my fear was the long term effects on people. The obvious is the negative impact on their lungs, but that also could lead to complications/strain on the heart and brain. Then as it progressed we starting hearing about the rarer, but troubling after-affects like hair/taste loss. The brain fog, exhaustion, I've had a customer talk about how during their run-in with it that their back was on fire to the point that wearing a shirt was painful.

I care about how many this virus kills, but it worries me more how many more will suffer the long term issues from this.

Exactly!
So far it's almost 10 times as many killed in this Pandemic than the 58,200 killed by the Vietnam "Police Action".
Millions have been & are affected by Agent Orange, but we don't know how many will be affected in some way by Covid.
Gotta hope for the Best.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615

Same here. 500,000+ deaths in 12 months is sad, and way too many regardless of the cause. But people are quick to point out other fatality rates in various conversations. The metric that has interested me is the "R" or "Rt" number, which refers to reproduction rate and is an indicator of how a virus for example can die out for whatever reason. I think my state's highest R value was around 2. This means that 100 infected people could infect 200 people. Those 200 could infect 400. In other words the virus is growing very quickly. The goal is to do whatever it takes to keep the R value less than 1. For example, if the R value was 0.5, this means that 100 infected people could infect 50 people. Those 50 people could infect 25, and 25 could infect 12. Eventually the virus dies out.
My state did reduce the R value to 0.85 for a few weeks here and there during 2020, but it would rise again to 1.1 or something. Next up was a change in the 'usefulness' of the R values. Trackers started combining the R value with other metrics in order to create (what was hoped to be) a better forecasting and monitoring tool.

Reactions: MJB05615 and TNJAKE
Same here. 500,000+ deaths in 12 months is sad, and way too many regardless of the cause. But people are quick to point out other fatality rates in various conversations. The metric that has interested me is the "R" or "Rt" number, which refers to reproduction rate and is an indicator of how a virus for example can die out for whatever reason. I think my state's highest R value was around 2. This means that 100 infected people could infect 200 people. Those 200 could infect 400. In other words the virus is growing very quickly. The goal is to do whatever it takes to keep the R value less than 1. For example, if the R value was 0.5, this means that 100 infected people could infect 50 people. Those 50 people could infect 25, and 25 could infect 12. Eventually the virus dies out.
My state did reduce the R value to 0.85 for a few weeks here and there during 2020, but it would rise again to 1.1 or something. Next up was a change in the 'usefulness' of the R values. Trackers started combining the R value with other metrics in order to create (what was hoped to be) a better forecasting and monitoring tool.

Yup---I found that very interesting, when Fauci gave a class on it.

The Numbers I dislike the most were the fact that We have 4% of the World's Population, and 20 % of the World's Deaths to Covid-19.

Bear

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thought I would add to this old thread. The wife and I got vaxxed in April. Pfizer.

Last week, Tuesday, I had allergy like symptoms for a day and a half then it turned into what I thought was the flu. A couple of hours later it got bad. It was like a step from pneumonia for a couple of days. Then, Saturday, I noticed I lost taste/smell…and maybe felt a bit better. I became a statistic, a “breakthrough” case of COVID. Wife has no symptoms at all. Hopefully the vaccine is doings its job for her. IMHO - It’s impossible to live in a house with someone and they not be exposed.

Talking to my Doc friends, they are saying about 5% of the hospitalizations are from breakthrough cases. The good news according to the Doc’s, for the breakthrough cases, is they tend to not get as sick and recover faster than non-vaxxed patients.

Today is day 6 since first had symptoms…and I am definitely getting better. Quarantine ends Saturday (ugh!)

Thought I would add to this old thread. The wife and I got vaxxed in April. Pfizer.

Last week, Tuesday, I had allergy like symptoms for a day and a half then it turned into what I thought was the flu. A couple of hours later it got bad. It was like a step from pneumonia for a couple of days. Then, Saturday, I noticed I lost taste/smell…and maybe felt a bit better. I became a statistic, a “breakthrough” case of COVID. Wife has no symptoms at all. Hopefully the vaccine is doings its job for her. IMHO - It’s impossible to live in a house with someone and they not be exposed.

Talking to my Doc friends, they are saying about 5% of the hospitalizations are from breakthrough cases. The good news according to the Doc’s, for the breakthrough cases, is they tend to not get as sick and recover faster than non-vaxxed patients.

Today is day 6 since first had symptoms…and I am definitely getting better. Quarantine ends Saturday (ugh!)
did you have and high morbidity conditions or were you a healthy Joe ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky