COVID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Bear, everyone's sign-up and appointment system is different and there are still a lot of bugs to work out. Heck, some places might be using a Big Chief tablet and a #2 pencil for all I know. We were on multiple lists and it was ironic but the forth place (Walgreens) we checked out online was scheduling appointments instead of adding names to a waiting list. 12 hours later we had our first shots, and an appointment in 3 weeks for the booster.

The day we got our shots I called a buddy that was also on two waiting lists and told him Walgreens had the vaccine. The store was only about 1/2 mile from his house. He didn't even go online, he drove over, filled out the forms by hand and a pharmacist said "as long as you're here, do you want to wait 10 minutes and get your shot today?"

Reactions: MJB05615
Hey Bear, everyone's sign-up and appointment system is different and there are still a lot of bugs to work out. Heck, some places might be using a Big Chief tablet and a #2 pencil for all I know. We were on multiple lists and it was ironic but the forth place (Walgreens) we checked out online was scheduling appointments instead of adding names to a waiting list. 12 hours later we had our first shots, and an appointment in 3 weeks for the booster.

The day we got our shots I called a buddy that was also on two waiting lists and told him Walgreens had the vaccine. The store was only about 1/2 mile from his house. He didn't even go online, he drove over, filled out the forms by hand and a pharmacist said "as long as you're here, do you want to wait 10 minutes and get your shot today?"

If I'm not mistaken there are ZERO Walgreens giving vaccinations for COVID in Pennsylvania. Guess they don't like us.

Bear

all the states have congress reps, governors, mayors ect that communicated and made plans with lots of staff. its the states that waited till they got vaccine then wondered how to distribute ... many states knew it was coming so made a plan. like the freezers ect small town don't have those.. the feds can only suggest to states, they cant by law govern. and for the president to say its a mess is right but to blame is wrong. my state is red so we are at top end of distribution..

I'm older than 65 with a compromised immune system. Just got an e-mail this morning from my provider that I can get a vaccine appointment for the first shot. Vaccines usually kick my butt, but I will set the appointment.

BTW, one of my daughters works in the healthcare field. She says by the April-May period there will be an overabundance of vaccine supply.

Well, I got my 2nd shot today, and my wife gets hers tomorrow. Most of our health care providers are affiliated with the Loyola University Medical System in the Chicago area where I registered for the shots on Feb. 1, and both times, it was a breeze. In and out in around 25 minutes including the 15 minute post-shot observation period. That said, I fully anticipate the need to get a booster in 4-6 months due to the uncertainty about the mutations and variants that are present.

During the observation period, I was talking with one of the nurses who told me that, about two weeks ago when a another big snow storm hit mid-afternoon they, not surprisingly, started getting a lot of cancellations and no-shows. They close at 7:00 PM and around 5:30 PM they were concerned that they were probably going to have toss around 150 doses that were reserved for people who weren't going to show up. As a hopeful solution to that problem, she and another nurse walked up the street where there are a few small shops and a couple neighborhood bars and announced that vaccines were immediately available for all who were interested. They also told them to call their family members and friends who were nearby and also interested. She said that a few minutes later there was a parade of people walking down the street in the storm and cars pulling into the parking lot. Nothing was tossed, and all was good.

Reactions: noboundaries
Well, I got my 2nd shot today, and my wife gets hers tomorrow. Most of our health care providers are affiliated with the Loyola University Medical System in the Chicago area where I registered for the shots on Feb. 1, and both times, it was a breeze. In and out in around 25 minutes including the 15 minute post-shot observation period. That said, I fully anticipate the need to get a booster in 4-6 months due to the uncertainty about the mutations and variants that are present.

During the observation period, I was talking with one of the nurses who told me that, about two weeks ago when a another big snow storm hit mid-afternoon they, not surprisingly, started getting a lot of cancellations and no-shows. They close at 7:00 PM and around 5:30 PM they were concerned that they were probably going to have toss around 150 doses that were reserved for people who weren't going to show up. As a hopeful solution to that problem, she and another nurse walked up the street where there are a few small shops and a couple neighborhood bars and announced that vaccines were immediately available for all who were interested. They also told them to call their family members and friends who were nearby and also interested. She said that a few minutes later there was a parade of people walking down the street in the storm and cars pulling into the parking lot. Nothing was tossed, and all was good.

That's Awesome!! That's using the Old Bean!!
I saw one on the news where there was a big traffic jam during a Snow Storm, and some "Medics" in the backed up traffic were going around to the other cars, offering up the doses they had that were going to expire.

Bear

k bear lets just say 0n cnbc or msnbc or fox , n let people decide.. i am not try trying to divide just facts . sorry try not to do again

which one do ya want?? i know all certified.. but to giving instructions., xxx

• mRNA vaccines contain material from the virus that causes COVID-19 that gives our cells instructions for how to make a harmless protein that is unique to the virus. After our cells make copies of the protein, they destroy the genetic material from the vaccine. Our bodies recognize that the protein should not be there and build T-lymphocytes and B-lymphocytes that will remember how to fight the virus that causes COVID-19 if we are infected in the future.
  • Protein subunit vaccines include harmless pieces (proteins) of the virus that cause COVID-19 instead of the entire germ. Once vaccinated, our immune system recognizes that the proteins don’t belong in the body and begins making T-lymphocytes and antibodies. If we are ever infected in the future, memory cells will recognize and fight the virus.
  • Vector vaccines contain a weakened version of a live virus—a different virus than the one that causes COVID-19—that has genetic material from the virus that causes COVID-19 inserted in it (this is called a viral vector). Once the viral vector is inside our cells, the genetic material gives cells instructions to make a protein that is unique to the virus that causes COVID-19. Using these instructions, our cells make copies of the protein. This prompts our bodies to build T-lymphocytes and B-lymphocytes that will remember how to fight that virus if we are infected in the future.

if your wife is pregnant does she get it? if not why not?? if yes why?? if she wants to get pregnant then what??

surly you say that in jest.. as it was meant for those still able or thinking about.

Got-It---Guys!!! We were Shot Today!!
Went Well---I didn't even feel the normal "Pinch".
Only there about 25 minutes.
Lady said "Which Arm?"
I said, "better do the left----I don't want any holes in my Art-work (Tattoo on right Shoulder)."
Second Dose scheduled for March 29th.

Bear

Got-It---Guys!!! We were Shot Today!!
Went Well---I didn't even feel the normal "Pinch".
Only there about 25 minutes.
Lady said "Which Arm?"
I said, "better do the left----I don't want any holes in my Art-work (Tattoo on right Shoulder)."

Bear
Good deal. My wife said that the second shot is usually the most bothersome. Let us know how it goes....

Lady said "Which Arm?"
The nurse asked me the same..... "which arm?" I told him "My left arm is my lucky arm, it's the same arm where I got the small pox vaccination 56 years ago". He had to chuckle about that because he looked to be about 30 years old.

He did mention expected soreness after the second dose (I got Pfizer) and suggested my dominate arm for that one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky