COVID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the info, Bear. Your loss still brings tears to my eyes.

Your Guardian Angel must wield incredible powers of Life. Your posts about complications of Agent Orange sent me looking for a Vietnam vet I knew when much younger. He was an older friend's college roommate while I was a senior in high school in TN. Later, when I was a Navy flight instructor in south TX, the roommate walks through the door as a newly assigned flight instructor!

The news I found was sad and addresses the issues of Agent Orange. Great guy. Full life. Gone too soon.

Your great positive attitude amidst all of your ailments are an inspiration, Bear. I may have stated this before, but it "bears" repeating, lol. This is proof that a positive attitude is therapeutic, sometimes moreso than medications. My Wife and myself are all in for the Vaccine as well. I've only got 1 kidney, didn't know til I was 40 and got a kidney stone. My Wife has 3 stents in her from previous blood clots, so as to prevent a reoccurrence, and she had a bowel obstruction just before the blood clots. We're just waiting for our age group and supplies to be available. While these issues are minimal compared to what you live with daily, I agree they only seem to care about age and not Comorbidity. I'm waiting to see if our Family doctor can write an exception notice for us to go sooner. Prob won't work, but worth a chance. Continue to stay Safe and keep that inspiring positive attitude my friend.

Both myself and my partner have had exposure as we both work with the public, but unless we were asymptomatic neither us or our children have gotten it. My dad on the other hand had it around Thanksgiving and it whooped his ass, he ended up with a bad case of pneumonia and if he had waited to go into see the doctor they told him another 12 hours of delay and he likely would have been on a ventilator. This man is 54 years old and works everyday in the oilfield, and it laid him down. A few weeks ago a family friend, also oilfield let us know he had tested positive. His wife wanted him to hold off on going to the hospital cuz he was doing bad, my dad after his bout told him not to wait. This guy has been in the ICU for a week plus at this point, not on a ventilator but a similar machine to a cpap to keep his oxygen levels up. I know even the simple act of rolling over to use a bedpan was dropping his oxygen levels so much they ended up putting in a catheter.

Meanwhile, I have customers come into my work spouting off "HOAX!!!" and "It's just the flu" and "They're just trying to control you" crap on the daily. Like I get it, some of the cases are super mild and this makes people assume it's nothing. Hell, my dad was one of these people. You wanna talk about scaring someone? That man hasn't gone to church for anything other than a funeral or wedding for as long as I can remember, and his experience scared him enough he's been going.

My personal opinion is and has been for nearly a year now, that whether or not you believe it is real. Whether you think the numbers are inflated. Or whatever your reason is to doubt the severity of this pandemic, the fact is that if you truly cared about anyone other than yourself/your clan; then you would do you level best to try anything to help divert this issue. I know that might sound harsh, but I'm not sorry. Masks, while the "facts" pass back and forth about their usefulness, even the small possibility of them helping is something simple that everyone could have easily done 11 months ago when this kicked off. But they couldn't get passed their own ego's and here we still are, with half a million dead... It's sad.

Both myself and my partner have had exposure as we both work with the public, but unless we were asymptomatic neither us or our children have gotten it. My dad on the other hand had it around Thanksgiving and it whooped his ass, he ended up with a bad case of pneumonia and if he had waited to go into see the doctor they told him another 12 hours of delay and he likely would have been on a ventilator. This man is 54 years old and works everyday in the oilfield, and it laid him down. A few weeks ago a family friend, also oilfield let us know he had tested positive. His wife wanted him to hold off on going to the hospital cuz he was doing bad, my dad after his bout told him not to wait. This guy has been in the ICU for a week plus at this point, not on a ventilator but a similar machine to a cpap to keep his oxygen levels up. I know even the simple act of rolling over to use a bedpan was dropping his oxygen levels so much they ended up putting in a catheter.

Meanwhile, I have customers come into my work spouting off "HOAX!!!" and "It's just the flu" and "They're just trying to control you" crap on the daily. Like I get it, some of the cases are super mild and this makes people assume it's nothing. Hell, my dad was one of these people. You wanna talk about scaring someone? That man hasn't gone to church for anything other than a funeral or wedding for as long as I can remember, and his experience scared him enough he's been going.

My personal opinion is and has been for nearly a year now, that whether or not you believe it is real. Whether you think the numbers are inflated. Or whatever your reason is to doubt the severity of this pandemic, the fact is that if you truly cared about anyone other than yourself/your clan; then you would do you level best to try anything to help divert this issue. I know that might sound harsh, but I'm not sorry. Masks, while the "facts" pass back and forth about their usefulness, even the small possibility of them helping is something simple that everyone could have easily done 11 months ago when this kicked off. But they couldn't get passed their own ego's and here we still are, with half a million dead... It's sad.

Yup---The only people we see is Bear Jr, and his Wife, Bethany, and they wear masks whenever they come to our house. One of them comes here every other Tuesday, as they pick up our Groceries @ Giant, and take them to their house, wipe all the packages down, and then bring ours to our house.
Vaccinations sure would make me feel a little better about the whole thing, but We'll still take all the precautions. It's just the Right & Smart thing to do!

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Bear. Your loss still brings tears to my eyes.

Your Guardian Angel must wield incredible powers of Life. Your posts about complications of Agent Orange sent me looking for a Vietnam vet I knew when much younger. He was an older friend's college roommate while I was a senior in high school in TN. Later, when I was a Navy flight instructor in south TX, the roommate walks through the door as a newly assigned flight instructor!

The news I found was sad and addresses the issues of Agent Orange. Great guy. Full life. Gone too soon.

Wade was a Great Man!! Hopefully he got to meet my Brother Jim, and so many of my Vietnam Vet Buddies that we lost, because not very many of them are left. I only have my Best Vietnam Buddy "Jack" left, and it's still not safe for us to get together.
We were in Vietnam at the same time, but not together, but I called him a few times on a Crank-Phone from 200 miles South of him, having to go through 9 Switchboards to get there. What a chore that was!!

Bear

Reactions: noboundaries
Your great positive attitude amidst all of your ailments are an inspiration, Bear. I may have stated this before, but it "bears" repeating, lol. This is proof that a positive attitude is therapeutic, sometimes moreso than medications. My Wife and myself are all in for the Vaccine as well. I've only got 1 kidney, didn't know til I was 40 and got a kidney stone. My Wife has 3 stents in her from previous blood clots, so as to prevent a reoccurrence, and she had a bowel obstruction just before the blood clots. We're just waiting for our age group and supplies to be available. While these issues are minimal compared to what you live with daily, I agree they only seem to care about age and not Comorbidity. I'm waiting to see if our Family doctor can write an exception notice for us to go sooner. Prob won't work, but worth a chance. Continue to stay Safe and keep that inspiring positive attitude my friend.

Won't know if you don't try. Let me know how you make out on that.
I wonder how they feel when someone dies with Comorbidities, because they were not yet 75, but the Government says you have to be 65 or older.

Bear

Won't know if you don't try. Let me know how you make out on that.
I wonder how they feel when someone dies with Comorbidities, because they were not yet 75, but the Government says you have to be 65 or older.

Bear
I'll definitely let you know how it goes if at all, after I reach out to my Family Doctor. I have to check online today someone told me they heard in Ga. phase 2 was starting and that would mean aging down to 55 or 60, mine and the Mrs' category. I really am doubtful since the news also stated that there's still a shortage. But I'm gonna check like crazy today. Of course I'll share any info I find out. Maybe each state has different age limits?

my granddaughter had last august, no bad symptoms ,my daughter never tested positive. so we couldn't see em for over a month..
but what i just cant stand is the libs controlling,, a girl IN needed industry didnt want to take vaccine and was fired. her reason is she was trying to get pregnant.. now is that USA???

I'll definitely let you know how it goes if at all, after I reach out to my Family Doctor. I have to check online today someone told me they heard in Ga. phase 2 was starting and that would mean aging down to 55 or 60, mine and the Mrs' category. I really am doubtful since the news also stated that there's still a shortage. But I'm gonna check like crazy today. Of course I'll share any info I find out. Maybe each state has different age limits?

Up here, the individual places have different ages than the PA DOH, because of the shortage that started when 100 Million doses were turned down, last year. (I think it was Japan that sucked them up) So the Vaccination places are saying 75 & over, and DOH is saying 65 & over.
Mrs Bear found one opening today, and signed up Bear Jr's Wife for that Appointment for tomorrow @ 2 PM. (She has Diabetes #1) The first thing Biden did was order 200 Million more Doses, so at least we know enough is ordered.
It just didn't catch up yet.
With this new J & J coming soon, we might get our day in the Sun soon---Maybe within a week (I Hope).

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
The wife and I found available vaccine in Warsaw, Missouri. They were allowing ANYONE to get them, although my wife and I qualified with age (sort of) and pre-existing conditions (for sure). It was a two-hour drive each way for us, but we got our first round yesterday (Pfizer-Biontech). Second round on St. Patrick's day - March 17.

Needle was tiny - never felt the shot. It goes in your deltoid muscle - high up your arm. My arm is sore around the injection point, but just a bit achy, not wake you up at night achy. My wife has already cleared up - no more soreness for her in less than 24 hours. We have had no other side effects that we are aware of.

It is crazy that vaccine is randomly available in "remote" areas, but not in major metropolitan areas yet. There were probably 50 national guard troops there assisting 30 or 40 nurses - they were all awesome! It was being held at a Shriners facility and they probably gave 150 +/- vaccines per hour.

Reactions: MJB05615
The wife and I found available vaccine in Warsaw, Missouri. They were allowing ANYONE to get them, although my wife and I qualified with age (sort of) and pre-existing conditions (for sure). It was a two-hour drive each way for us, but we got our first round yesterday (Pfizer-Biontech). Second round on St. Patrick's day - March 17.

Needle was tiny - never felt the shot. It goes in your deltoid muscle - high up your arm. My arm is sore around the injection point, but just a bit achy, not wake you up at night achy. My wife has already cleared up - no more soreness for her in less than 24 hours. We have had no other side effects that we are aware of.

It is crazy that vaccine is randomly available in "remote" areas, but not in major metropolitan areas yet. There were probably 50 national guard troops there assisting 30 or 40 nurses - they were all awesome! It was being held at a Shriners facility and they probably gave 150 +/- vaccines per hour.

That's Awesome, Eddie!!!
A little too far for me to go though.:emoji_disappointed:
Congrats!!

Bear

We were in California visiting our kids in February 2020. Started in San Diego and drove up the coast, taking a month to get to San Francisco. Even visited Disney Land. It was breaking in the news as we headed north. By the time we celebrated our 40th anniversary in Benicia, they shut the state down. We drove to Oakland to fly out and the freeways and airport were deserted. Very strange. We made it home fine and have been very careful this year.

We had a major snow storm last week. On Monday, the first day Safeway had vaccines, there was a lot of snow, too deep for most to drive. Over breakfast I looked at Mrs Smoke and asked if she thought if everyone who had appointments would be able to keep them. We dug out the 4x4 and made it to the store before closing. They had a couple leftover and we could have them. Thank goodness for pickups.

We were on the waiting list at the Health Department, our personal Health Clinic and at Walmart Pharmacy.... then the state missed an entire week's shipment with the recent Midwestern snow storms. One Friday night at 6:45, the Clinic called because of a cancellation.... but it was -15° with ground blizzards, so I passed.

When the next shipment arrived it must have been larger because Walgreens received their first allotment of 180 doses. Mr's ~t~ was at Walgreens and saw they were scheduling appointments and got both of us one for the next day. We were in and out in 20 minutes and had a confirmed appointment for the second dose in hand. Once we had the shots, all we had to do was call and remove ourselves from the other waiting lists, and all of them said we were close to getting a call.

Lets not get political with this thread....
I'm not sure if the states handle who gets the vaccine and who doesn't or if the feds have any say in it FL has been health care workers and those 65 and older. Not all that long ago they said people that had certain conditions could get the vaccine with a letter from their primary care doctor that is they could make an appointment for getting it. COPD, Heart conditions, diabetes, were some of the conditions there were others that I can't remember right now. My primary doctor's office is giving the injections and they called me last week and said they had one if I could get in that day so of course I was driving that way about 20 minutes later. I had zero side effects not even the sore arm. I am scheduled for my second dose next month. In the last couple days they have said law enforcement and teachers who are over 50 can now get the injections. My wife has had both of her doses awhile back she's a health care worker and works in the Emergency Department so was one of the first in this area to get it. Her only side effects were a sore arm with both doses.
I also read an article the other day that said if you were a Veteran in South GA or North FL and were currently registered with the VA clinic or hospital and had certain conditions you could get the vaccine from them regardless of age. Not sure if that is just a local thing or if it is or is going to be a national thing but might be worth a phone call.

Lets not get political with this thread....
I'm not sure if the states handle who gets the vaccine and who doesn't or if the feds have any say in it FL has been health care workers and those 65 and older. Not all that long ago they said people that had certain conditions could get the vaccine with a letter from their primary care doctor that is they could make an appointment for getting it. COPD, Heart conditions, diabetes, were some of the conditions there were others that I can't remember right now. My primary doctor's office is giving the injections and they called me last week and said they had one if I could get in that day so of course I was driving that way about 20 minutes later. I had zero side effects not even the sore arm. I am scheduled for my second dose next month. In the last couple days they have said law enforcement and teachers who are over 50 can now get the injections. My wife has had both of her doses awhile back she's a health care worker and works in the Emergency Department so was one of the first in this area to get it. Her only side effects were a sore arm with both doses.
I also read an article the other day that said if you were a Veteran in South GA or North FL and were currently registered with the VA clinic or hospital and had certain conditions you could get the vaccine from them regardless of age. Not sure if that is just a local thing or if it is or is going to be a national thing but might be worth a phone call.

I asked my Primary Care Doc months ago, before anybody had any, and he said they wouldn't be getting any Covid shots at their clinic.
That was a shame, because when we got our FLU shots, he had me park in front of his office & call his Cellphone. Then he came out & shot us both in the car. Nice Guy!!
I'm thinking (Hoping) everything is gonna loosen up, and they'll be easy to get within the next week or 2.
As for the VA, only Veterans who are current registered patients will be taken care of at the VA.

Bear

Last edited:
Of the state allotment, my county gets about 1500 doses per week from the government and they have run out each week. Those doses go to the Health Department, and to 4 clinics. Per county rules we have already vaccinated health care workers, first responders, teachers and 75+. Now the age requirement has lowered to 65+, or anyone with a preexisting condition that warrants it. Also essential workers can qualify. The Vet clinic has separate vaccine and any vet can call for an appointment. I don't know how the vaccines are handled on the two Indian Reservations.

In early February, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and others partnered with the government to also give vaccines at their locations because in a nutshell.... a considerable number of people live within 5 miles of one of the 22 company pharmacies throughout the US that will administer vaccines.... and also because the government wants to maximize the number shots each week. The pharmacy shipments come directly from the government, not a state or county health department. HERE IS A LIST of the stores that have partnered with the government. It's pretty impressive.

Of the state allotment, my county gets about 1500 doses per week from the government and they have run out each week. Those doses go to the Health Department, and to 4 clinics. Per county rules we have already vaccinated health care workers, first responders, teachers and 75+. Now the age requirement has lowered to 65+, or anyone with a preexisting condition that warrants it. Also essential workers can qualify. The Vet clinic has separate vaccine and any vet can call for an appointment. I don't know how the vaccines are handled on the two Indian Reservations.

In early February, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and others partnered with the government to also give vaccines at their locations because in a nutshell.... a considerable number of people live within 5 miles of one of the 22 company pharmacies throughout the US that will administer vaccines.... and also because the government wants to maximize the number shots each week. The pharmacy shipments come directly from the government, not a state or county health department. HERE IS A LIST of the stores that have partnered with the government. It's pretty impressive.

LOL---Yeah Impressive list, but only 5 of them are even in our area.

Bear

Just got finished with a telehealth appointment with my doctor at the VA. Said it would likely be 3 months before I can get a vaccine

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky