• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Couple beef rib questions

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mb396

Fire Starter
Jul 3, 2012
Evening folks, I have a couple beef ribs questions. The last time I smoked some up I had no smoke flavor. This is what I did,

I do not have pics because it was several weeks ago that I smoke up my last batch. Just looking for answers for my next attempt.

1. Light trimming and removed membrane. Which poses my first question. It seem like there is two layer of sorts on the bottom. There is a thin layer like pork ribs, and then a thick layer. I only removed the thin membrane. Should I have removed the thinker part as well?

2. Applied a good layer of rub. I liKe a sweeter flavor so I have a bit more brown sugar than most I have seen.

3. Started the AMNTS with a blend of cherry and peach pellets.

4. Per heated my smoker to 250*

5. Placed the ribs on the rack and closed it up. Had a 270* temp most of the time.

I had good smoke for around 4 hours till the AMNTS ran out.

6. Sprits with a apple juice, pineapple juice, and apple cider vinegar a couple times.

7. I had a decent pullback at about the 6 hour mark. So I pulled them off and foiled with butter, brown sugar and honey.

8. Back on the smoker for about an hour.

I had a total of about seven hours on the smoker. I had good flavor as far as the meat and rub goes, but no smoke flavor at all. Great mahogany color as well.

I made several attempts at these things in the past and have not found a happy medium yet. I struggled with the fat rendering at first, which I have overcome. So now I am really down to the lack of smokey taste.

My thought are the thicker membrane is keeping the smoke from penetrating.

I would like to thank all responders in advance.

Mike

cadiganp

Jan 1, 2013
I recommend trying something other than the fruit woods. I tend to get good smoke flavor from hickory or mesquite wood.

mb396

Fire Starter
Jul 3, 2012
Thank you. Different wood did cross my mind. I saw the use of theses woods on BBQ Pitmasters, however the are using stick burners.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky