Country Style Ribs - Two Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good Evening

I tried smoking country style ribs for the first time this evening. I think they turned out pretty good. Tender and tasty. However, they still had a lot of fat. I know that these are not ribs, but I prefer some baby backs. I did a couple as "sweet" and the others in some "heat".

I started out with 2.5 lbs of country style ribs. For the "sweet" CSRs, I used Meat Church Honey Hog rub, and for the "heat" CSRs, I used Suckle Busters Texas Hickory BBQ Rub and a top layer of Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub.

Cook Overview:
  • 2.5 lbs of country style ribs
  • Total cook time was around 3 hours - 2 hours of smoke, 1 hour wrapped in foil, and about 15 minutes sauced
  • Traeger ran at the 250* setting the entire cook
  • Used Traeger Signature Blend pellets
  • Finished IT was around 195*
CSRs Pre Rub 1.JPG

After about an hour of smoke, IT was around 130*.

CSRs Smoke 2.JPG

After two hours and IT around 155*, Honey Hog CSRs getting wrapped with some brown sugar and Stubbs + apple juice.

CSRs Sweet Wrap 3.JPG

The "heat" CSRs getting wrapped with some brown sugar and Kosmos Q Peach jalapeno rib glaze + apple juice.

CSRs Heat Wrap 4.JPG

After a little over 3 hours, ITs were 190-195*. Unwrapped them, hit them with the sauce again, and then let them setup for about 15 minutes. Pulled them off and dug in.

CSRs Finish 5.JPG

Looks great. I plan on throwing some country ribs in to fill out the smoker when doing bacon and pastrami next weekend. How they come out as nice as yours.

Looks great. I plan on throwing some country ribs in to fill out the smoker when doing bacon and pastrami next weekend. How they come out as nice as yours.

Thank you! I can see how these are a cheap, easy cook.

Those looks tasty, I usually smoke those up and then make chili with them. They make great chili meat

Thanks. Good idea on the chili meat! Makes me think about what else to toss the meat in.

Those are some great looking CSR.

Point for sure.
Chris

Awesome looking ribs there man fat dripping off the elbows is no problem at my house.

Warren

Thanks Warren!

Beautiful ribs! Country style is growing on me.

Thanks! I think CSRs can be a nice alternative if looking for that traditional pork flavor, but something different.

Those csr’s look delicious. Good job and congrats on the feature!

Thanks!

Those are some great looking CSR.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris!

Those are of the best CSR cut, and you did a Great Job!!
Very Nice!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear!

Those look great!

We smoke CSRs quite a bit. I've noticed that some stores sell boneless cuts as "country style ribs" while others are bone in. We try to just buy the bone in style. I have to admit I'm ignorant as to what cuts these actually are. Anyone know?

Those look great!

We smoke CSRs quite a bit. I've noticed that some stores sell boneless cuts as "country style ribs" while others are bone in. We try to just buy the bone in style. I have to admit I'm ignorant as to what cuts these actually are. Anyone know?

Yup---The ones with bone-in are the tastiest. I believe they are more from the shoulder.
And if I'm not mistaken, the boneless are more from the Loin---Not as moist.

Bear

Reactions: BKING!
Yup---The ones with bone-in are the tastiest. I believe they are more from the shoulder.
And if I'm not mistaken, the boneless are more from the Loin---Not as moist.

Bear

Yep got some shoulder CSRs and smoked then not long ago. I thought I died and went heaven. Much cheaper than actual ribs and just as tasty imo.

Attachments

• 073309BC-FF94-48FF-A731-C64BD1E9E0CE.jpeg
    073309BC-FF94-48FF-A731-C64BD1E9E0CE.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 11
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky