Country Style Ribs, Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Decided to pick up some fresh CSR's today and put a smile on the family's faces.
On request Publix cut'em for me off a nice shoulder, gotta love their service.

Menu
Hickory Smoked/Glazed CSRs
Green Bean Casserole
Stuffing
Sugar Kiss Melon

The CSRs
Rubbed with my homemade pork rub recipe,
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chiles-pork-and-chicken-rubs.278054/
Let the rub's salt brine into the meat and the meat come to room temp.
Fired up the smoker to 225°-250° and fed it some hickory.
Let the ribs smoke to an IT of 175° and then glazed with SBR.
Pulled at 180° IT and probe tender.

Rubbed and Resting
zxWqi7M.jpg

Three Hours Spritz
hDa2jNI.jpg

Glazed
1drnk6x.jpg

Finished
muNZZUM.jpg

Green Bean Casserole
2 cans green beans
1can whole corn
1 large onion chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2C slivered almonds
1.5C French Fried Onions
1 can each condensed Cream of Mushroom/Cream of Celery
1C milk
1t black pepper
1T garlic minced
1T Lawry's Seasoned Salt

Preheat oven to 425°
Mix all ingredients together in a 9x13 casserole dish
Cover tightly with foil and bake for one hour
Uncover and spread FFOs on top, return to oven and bake for another 15-30 minutes

sM9JhXP.jpg

RHWwjxF.jpg

H4Oxdjw.jpg

The Finale

dIPqNcp.jpg

Last edited:
Man those look good! I’ve been wanting to do some CSR’s and shoulder is on sale this week anyway. May have to get a 2 pack and see about getting meat dept to carve one up for me. Went looking for CSR’s last week but they only had a bone in “country style loin rib” that I wasn’t familiar with so I passed it up. Great meal though!

Man those look good! I’ve been wanting to do some CSR’s and shoulder is on sale this week anyway. May have to get a 2 pack and see about getting meat dept to carve one up for me. Went looking for CSR’s last week but they only had a bone in “country style loin rib” that I wasn’t familiar with so I passed it up. Great meal though!
Thanks.

CSR's generally come in two cuts Shoulder and Loin, bone-in or boneless.
Loin cuts are very lean and thus do well directly on the grill, or a low-n-slow smoke then finished on the grill.
As with any pork loin don't let the IT exceed 145° or it will get dry/tough.
Shoulder or Butt cuts do better with a low-n-slow smoke and they too can be finished on the grill.
Their IT can be brought to 180°-185° or higher.

Reactions: damascusmaker
Thanks.

CSR's generally come in two cuts Shoulder and Loin, bone-in or boneless.
Loin cuts are very lean and thus do well directly on the grill, or a low-n-slow smoke then finished on the grill.
As with any pork loin don't let the IT exceed 145° or it will get dry/tough.
Shoulder or Butt cuts do better with a low-n-slow smoke and they too can be finished on the grill.
Their IT can be brought to 180°-185° or higher.
Gotcha, I was kinda thinking that cause it said loin back rib that taking it to 185 would be a bad idea. I was gonna research that when I got time and I forgot about it till I seen your post.

Gotcha, I was kinda thinking that cause it said loin back rib that taking it to 185 would be a bad idea. I was gonna research that when I got time and I forgot about it till I seen your post.
Well then, I saved you a couple minutes.
I prefer the bone-in shoulder CSRs, all the flavor of their fattiness and the bone.

Those look great! Thanks for sharing.

I hvent tried CSRs. Just to clarify,
if I go to try to buy some, they will already be sliced into single pieces and labeled country style ribs?

Those look great! Thanks for sharing.

I hvent tried CSRs. Just to clarify,
if I go to try to buy some, they will already be sliced into single pieces and labeled country style ribs?
Thanks man.
Yes, they'll be labeled as CSRs.
But not always labeled as shoulder or loin, so know the difference, color and fattiness and bone shape.
Know the difference cause they must be cooked differently.

Chile I gotta give you A Big LIKE on this one. Mmmmm Mmmmm. Those CSR's look awesome, Dinner looks great!!!

Looks real good John!
About all I can say is I bet your family loves you.
You seem to cook some spectacular meal everyday.
We usually save those meals for once or twice a week & try to eat healthy the rest of the time.
But I envy you cause you eat good every night!!!
Al

Looks great Chile, another fine plate of food. I usually start them on the grate then braise for a short time in apple juice then back onto the grate to finish up. My have to rethink my options.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks real good John!
About all I can say is I bet your family loves you.
You seem to cook some spectacular meal everyday.
We usually save those meals for once or twice a week & try to eat healthy the rest of the time.
But I envy you cause you eat good every night!!!
Al
Thanks Al... Well, they say they do. :rolleyes:
Unless I'm off work for whatever, I'm strictly a weekend warrior.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky