Country Style Pork Ribs with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Decided to smoke some appetizers today, and stumbled across these country style ribs on clearance at the market today -- 50% off.  So a short 1-2 hour smoke turned into a nearly 5 hour afternoon event.  Nice way to spend a Saturday.  Salt, pepper, garlic, and smoke to start things off....

dfec153c_IMG_1531.jpg

Smoked these for about 3 hours with ash wood, foiled with some pineapple juice (off the hook goodness!!!!) for another 2 hours.  These puppies hit temp quickly -- around 3.5 to 4 hours, so I skipped the final "1" in the 3-2-1 method, as they were also fall-apart tender at that point.

272c8221_IMG_1537.jpg

We'll be having these tomorrow evening when my daughter gets home form her snow trip.  Of course, the wife and I snitched a couple of bites "just to make sure it turned out alright."
icon_wink.gif
  I'll just quote her: "James, you keep out-doing yourself!"  About says it all...If Momma's happy, everyone's happy!

Thanks for looking!

Great looking CSR's!! I have tried to prepare them many different ways and the only one I liked is smoked. Good job!

Adiochiro3, WOW, now those look awesome!  I have smoked a lot of ribs but they have either been spare ribs or baby backs, never smoked any country style ribs but have eaten a bunch of them.  That will go up near the top of my list to smoke soon as my family absolutely loves country style ribs.  Does the pineapple juice do better than the apple juice I have been using?  It kind of makes sense as I know that pineapple juice is more acidic than apple juice! Any comments about pineapple juice vs. apple juice?  Would love to have your opinion as I have never used pineapple juice before?

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Those look absolutely Outstanding !!!

I can't believe you can stand waiting 24 hours to devour them!

I gotta do me some like that real soon!!!!

Bear

Hey Doc,

I copied and pasted this for a not too distant smoke (I hope).

I have one question---You didn't mention it, but am I right in assuming you held your smoker temp around 230˚?

Thanks,

Bear

Adiochiro3, WOW, now those look awesome!  I have smoked a lot of ribs but they have either been spare ribs or baby backs, never smoked any country style ribs but have eaten a bunch of them.  That will go up near the top of my list to smoke soon as my family absolutely loves country style ribs.  Does the pineapple juice do better than the apple juice I have been using?  It kind of makes sense as I know that pineapple juice is more acidic than apple juice! Any comments about pineapple juice vs. apple juice?  Would love to have your opinion as I have never used pineapple juice before?

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif
I think the acid and flavor of the pineapple juice made a good dish even better.  I love pineapple -- I even put chunks in my ABT's for a little sweet with the heat!  Give it a try next time with any pork smoke.  My family sure agreed tonight over dinner! 
icon_cool.gif

Hey Doc,

I copied and pasted this for a not too distant smoke (I hope).

I have one question---You didn't mention it, but am I right in assuming you held your smoker temp around 230˚?

Thanks,

Bear
Bear,

We could only wait because I smoked some stuffed Portobello's, ABT's and a clove of garlic.  The wife and I added some smoked cheddar and smoked sturgeon with Ritz crackers and cream cheese and had ourselves quite the appetizer feast (with a little white wine to wash it all down). 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yep -- 225* - 230* through the whole time.  Now I know I'm reaching new heights when Bearcarver is copying MY ideas. 
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the kind words!!

James

PS: A deep and heartfelt thank you for your service to our nation!

Last edited:
Doc James, thanks for the info on pineapple juice. We all love pineapple and I can see where the acid in the pineapple juice could even help break down the fat and connective tissue in a piece of pork, I will try it soon.  I have always used apple juice but the acidity is not near as high as pineapple juice so it makes sense to me and since we already like the flavor its a win win situation. Thanks Doc, I really appreciate it.  Keep up the good work!  May all your smokes be as good as this one!!!!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Bear,

We could only wait because I smoked some stuffed Portobello's, ABT's and a clove of garlic.  The wife and I added some smoked cheddar and smoked sturgeon with Ritz crackers and cream cheese and had ourselves quite the appetizer feast (with a little white wine to wash it all down). 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yep -- 225* - 230* through the whole time.  Now I know I'm reaching new heights when Bearcarver is copying MY ideas. 
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the kind words!!

James

PS: A deep and heartfelt thank you for your service to our nation!
Thank You James!

And anybody who makes anything that looks & sounds as good as those beautiful CSRs, (as long as it doesn't look too elaborate & time consuming) will be copied by this Bear.

I doubt this will be the first of yours I copied.

Bear

We grill CSR's, but never thought of smoking them.....

On the list to do

THX!

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky