Costco Louisiana Grills Series 7 Pellet Vertical Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sure they have a good return policy, but probably not returnable after a year if it starts having issues. I also wonder about getting replacement parts since I couldn’t even find the smoker on Louisiana’s own website.

I bet they would still take it back. They give the customer the benefit of the doubt unless you really abuse the return policy.

Like Preacher Man, I was also checking this out at Costco last weekend. But I'd have to check my health insurance to see if covers "Acts of Wife".

Reactions: Nawlinsboy2007
Haha Lots of funny replies but it was actually my wife that pointed this deal out to me. She knew my electric smoker crapped out recently and suggested I buy it. After a little research I decided to give it a try.

So far it's so good. I will be bringing in half the smoked Butt to work to get the real reviews. Yes free food for co-workers and see their opinions.

Like Preacher Man, I was also checking this out at Costco last weekend. But I'd have to check my health insurance to see if covers "Acts of Wife".

Just put in something she really likes, fish, eggs, cheese or pretty much anything. When you have her taste it all will be forgiven.

It looks like the same controller as my Pit Boss 5 series. I'm pretty sure it's probably all the same parts as the Pit Boss units, just a different name plate. I made some venison and elk jerky on mine the other day and did have a flame out with it set at 150*. Ironically I had it set on smoke mode the other day with my Thermoworks probes inside and it never flamed out and was running between 85* and 120* roughly, ran it for an hour or so without issue.
As for the pellet lid letting water in comment. I've not heard of that problem, I have heard of the pellet dump door letting moisture in and swelling pellets and that is a legit concern if storing outside. I'll probably make a little shield or something. But it will mostly be in the garage. Do I wish it had a better controller? Yup. My Davy Crockett is a way better controller. That said I paid 345 for Davy whereas I paid 199 for the 5 series from Walmart on clearance. Plus the 5 year warranty I'm very happy with my purchase. Although It's going to take awhile for me to trust it for overnight cooks.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
It looks like the same controller as my Pit Boss 5 series. I'm pretty sure it's probably all the same parts as the Pit Boss units, just a different name plate. I made some venison and elk jerky on mine the other day and did have a flame out with it set at 150*. Ironically I had it set on smoke mode the other day with my Thermoworks probes inside and it never flamed out and was running between 85* and 120* roughly, ran it for an hour or so without issue.
As for the pellet lid letting water in comment. I've not heard of that problem, I have heard of the pellet dump door letting moisture in and swelling pellets and that is a legit concern if storing outside. I'll probably make a little shield or something. But it will mostly be in the garage. Do I wish it had a better controller? Yup. My Davy Crockett is a way better controller. That said I paid 345 for Davy whereas I paid 199 for the 5 series from Walmart on clearance. Plus the 5 year warranty I'm very happy with my purchase. Although It's going to take awhile for me to trust it for overnight cooks.

FYI.. All readers, the Specs for the Louisiana Grills Series 7 Vertical Smoker and the PB Copperhead 5-7 Series are almost the same...
Skidog, during the Flame Out you had with your PB Copperhead 5, what was the weather conditions/outdoor temps at that time? Also, how many cooks had You done on it so far? Every brand and type Pellet Grill has their own unique start up procedures and some may require more maintenance then others. I know the info in the Owners Manual says on page 18, is to clean/vacuum out the burn pot after every cook for your PB Copperhead 5... Another Pellet Grill brand may recommend something different.. Also the Start up procedures and preheating must be done and followed the same way for every cook... No Short Cuts... Set it and Forget it, will not work on these Smokers... Following the start up procedures will help prevent Flame Outs and help your Smoker maintain stable grill temps. Low n Slow cooking temps for Your Smoker is from 150*-250* degrees... 150* degrees is the lowest temp your smoker should run at, any lower could cause a flame out. If Your Smokers temps drops below 150* degrees, I would check it to insure everything is ok... For overnight cooks, make sure the Pellets in the Hopper are flowing down smoothly and are not tunneling, which could create/cause a flame out to happen as well. It’ll take a few cooks to get everything dialed in and to have a clear understanding of your PB Copperhead 5. You got a very nice Pellet Smoker and for $199.00, that was a steal of a deal...

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I know all about the start up procedure with the Pit Boss. Yes I followed it. Weather was mid 40's and barely any wind. As far as cooks, I had only done the burn in and the little bit of testing it, so maybe a total of 6 or 7 hours. The pot having the minuscule amount of ash it had in it is not why it flamed out. All the pellet grill manufacturers recommend cleaning after every cook. I don't really care that it flamed out, I was just stating my experience. I never expected this unit to run tight temperatures, the controller just isn't good enough. I'm fine with that, I knew it before I bought it.
I know you love your Pit Boss unit and are trying to help people, I've seen your posts on a number of forums.
Since you seem to be knowledgeable about Pit Boss. What temp is it supposed to run at when set on smoke mode? If it's supposed to run at no less than 150* then whats the purpose of smoke mode?

I know all about the start up procedure with the Pit Boss. Yes I followed it. Weather was mid 40's and barely any wind. As far as cooks, I had only done the burn in and the little bit of testing it, so maybe a total of 6 or 7 hours. The pot having the minuscule amount of ash it had in it is not why it flamed out. All the pellet grill manufacturers recommend cleaning after every cook. I don't really care that it flamed out, I was just stating my experience. I never expected this unit to run tight temperatures, the controller just isn't good enough. I'm fine with that, I knew it before I bought it.
I know you love your Pit Boss unit and are trying to help people, I've seen your posts on a number of forums.
Since you seem to be knowledgeable about Pit Boss. What temp is it supposed to run at when set on smoke mode? If it's supposed to run at no less than 150* then whats the purpose of smoke mode?

Smoke Mode Temps for the PB Copperhead 5&7 Series Smokers run from 125*-150* degrees as per PB/Louisiana Grills Customer Service. That information is not found in the Owners Manual nor their website. The Controller used in the Copperhead units are different then the ones used in the PB Pro Series Grills and the Austin XL Grill. The Smoke Mode Temp range for those grills are from 175*-200* degrees. I posted the prior info to try too help keep your Smokers temp above 150* degrees because I knew on My grill, I would get a warning of a possible flame out at that temp... So on Smoke mode, the Louisiana Grills 7 Series and the PB Copperhead 5-7 Series Smokers should run safely at temps as low as 125* degrees while on Smoke Mode... And note, I don’t love my PB unit.. It’s just a hobby I enjoy...

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Sorry I was in a hurry when I responded earlier. Now that I read it it does sound like I was being a dink. Didn't mean to sound like that.
Actually your other posts about this smoker is why I read about the start up procedure and follow it. So again I didn't mean to make it sound like your a fan boy for Pellet Boss.
Thanks for the info about smoke mode. I was sincerely interested in any info you might of had.

Smoke Mode Temps for the PB Copperhead 5&7 Series Smokers run from 125*-150* degrees as per PB/Louisiana Grills Customer Service. That information is not found in the Owners Manual nor their website. The Controller used in the Copperhead units are different then the ones used in the PB Pro Series Grills and the Austin XL Grill. The Smoke Mode Temp range for those grills are from 175*-200* degrees. I posted the prior info to try too help keep your Smokers temp above 150* degrees because I knew on My grill, I would get a warning of a possible flame out at that temp... So on Smoke mode, the Louisiana Grills 7 Series and the PB Copperhead 5-7 Series Smokers should run safely at temps as low as 125* degrees while on Smoke Mode... And note, I don’t love my PB unit.. It’s just a hobby I enjoy...

Thank you for posting this information.

I will give beef jerky a try on this thing tomorrow and see how it comes out.

jerky_03_23_19_001.jpg

The LG series 7 gets another A+ for making jerky.

Two racks with 3 types of jerky started around 1pm.

jerky_03_23_19_009.jpg

5 hours in and it's looking like jerky.

jerky_03_23_19_011.jpg

Lower rack was 1/8" took 7 hours at 150*, upper rack was 1/4" took 7 1/2 hours. It all turned out excellent.

jerky_03_23_19_013.jpg

Reactions: RCAlan
I have done a few more cooks on this pellet smoker and can say it is rock solid.

Leg of lamb came out perfect.

leg_of_lamb_004.jpg

As did a couple of Salmon fillets.

leg_of_lamb_005.jpg

I have also made more Bison burgers that came out better than on the grill but no pictures, The main thing is this pellet cooker works great and it well worth the price that Costco is selling it for.

Glad your liking it,son is liking the #5 we bought them for Christmas

Bought this smoker (my first one) about a month ago and have done 5 smokes now and every time I have had a flame out with an error code Erl. I have followed startup procedures from the manual every time, and it seems random. Sometimes after a couple hours, and other times it will have gone 18 hours before it went out. I called support and they said to open the top vent all the way. Unfortunately that hasn't helped. Has anyone else had issues with this? Would appreciate any tips, as this smoke seems great, but this issue has been quite annoying.

Bought this smoker (my first one) about a month ago and have done 5 smokes now and every time I have had a flame out with an error code Erl. I have followed startup procedures from the manual every time, and it seems random. Sometimes after a couple hours, and other times it will have gone 18 hours before it went out. I called support and they said to open the top vent all the way. Unfortunately that hasn't helped. Has anyone else had issues with this? Would appreciate any tips, as this smoke seems great, but this issue has been quite annoying.

Error code Erl or ErL means the Temp is to low... Here’s a link to a previous thread about the same problem... Read the last few postings..

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pit-boss-copperhead-erl-error-code.285513/

Give PB Customer Service a call for support to correct the issue. Good luck.

My son had the same code 2 weeks ago,he ran low on pellets and the fire went out,you can get pellets that bridge and don't flow into the auger and cause that on any of the pellet smokers,might want to look into the hopper and the fire pot the next time that happens and see whats up

I just bought the same smoker. That 24 hour smoke on your pork butt is a LONG time. The first thing I did on my smoker was to run my probe thermometer on it and placed the probe around the middle grate. Temp is consistently 35 degrees lower than the unit registers. Not surprising since the internal thermo probe is very close to the firebox. Not a deal killer for me...but a poor design. Once I account for this and set the temp accordingly it held really steady. So if you think you're smoking at 225, your likely below 200. that could account for your long smoke time.

Reactions: thebattman
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky