Costco Louisiana Grills Series 7 Pellet Vertical Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
Costco recently started selling a Louisiana Grills brand series 7 vertical smoker that seems to have the same specifications as the Pit Boss series 7. They sell it for $599 but now have a warehouse price of $449 if you can find it in stores. It includes two temperature probes and a cover.

It took me three tries to find one but I did and got one home. There were many parts to get it finished but the instructions were easy to follow. I did the initial burn in today and plan on smoking a pork butt tomorrow to test it out.

lg_pellet_smoker_002.jpg

It moves around easily with the large castors to store it when not in use. The cover has a zipper which makes it easy to install.

lg_pellet_smoker_003.jpg

I will do my first cook tomorrow and report back on how well it smokes.

Last edited:
congrats, looks almost identical to the pitboss series 5 in features.

I actually saw this deal and stood in Costco leaning on the box trying to research reviews on this forum about it. I didn't find any, so I look forward to your review.

However, I reckon that last box is long gone by now.

I am breaking it in now. I started with a cheaper cut of meat to test it out. A Pork Butt. I will add the Trout if it seems to be working OK.
pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19.jpg

I injected it and rubbed it last night.

pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19_02.jpg

I ran it at 150* for 45 minutes just to inject a lot of smoke then bumped it up to 225*.

pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19_03.jpg

Reactions: rskibum
I just bought one yesterday. Haven’t burned it in yet. My work is interfering . I am new to pellet cooking. Have been using a big green egg & electric smoker for a number of years. Looking forward to the pellet smoker; also learning from this group. Thanks
Steve

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Looks like a lot of white smoke coming out of everywhere. Wonder how well those pellets are burning. Let us know how it works.

Just out of the chimney. It's windy today. I am using the Lowes Pit Boss competition pellets. Luckily at 225* it's not sucking them down as fast as the burn in did.

The butt has stalled at 154 for the last two hours. It's making me hungry waiting for it.

pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19_04.jpg

So I put in the Steelhead Trout and Bison burgers so I can eat soon.

trout_bison_03_15_19_02.jpg

The Bison Burgers turned out amazing. They could not have turned out better.

bison_burgers_03_15_19_02.jpg

The Steelhead Trout also came out great.

trout_03_15_19_02.jpg

But it is after 3AM and the pork butt is still not done. It is close though. It will be an almost 24 hour cook. It does look yummy.

pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19_05.jpg

Looks real good from here. congratulations on a successful smoke.

Point for sure
Chris

So you can watch the first half of the cook close up and have something else to clean when you are done.

I pulled it apart and added a great bbq sauce from a local place. It turned out great.

pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19_07.jpg

pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19_08.jpg

I saw this thing yesterday at Costco and was very intrigued. I came home and tried to research it but found very little info on it, found their website and it wasn’t even listed on there.

It does look very very similar to the pit boss ones. That had me worried because I have seen many mixed reviews with the pit boss ones, from the hopper lid letting moisture into hopper and ruining pellets, goofy auger design that clogs easily, and people complaining that if you put a rack of chicken wings or anything too much in it, it freaks out. If this isn’t a clone or a rebranded version of the pit boss I’d be very interested. Otherwise I’ve been leaning towards the camp chef xxl cabinet smoker, my only issue with that one is that the temp doesn’t go all that high.

Thoughts?

I saw this thing yesterday at Costco and was very intrigued. I came home and tried to research it but found very little info on it, found their website and it wasn’t even listed on there.

It does look very very similar to the pit boss ones. That had me worried because I have seen many mixed reviews with the pit boss ones, from the hopper lid letting moisture into hopper and ruining pellets, goofy auger design that clogs easily, and people complaining that if you put a rack of chicken wings or anything too much in it, it freaks out. If this isn’t a clone or a rebranded version of the pit boss I’d be very interested. Otherwise I’ve been leaning towards the camp chef xxl cabinet smoker, my only issue with that one is that the temp doesn’t go all that high.

Thoughts?

G_funk3.. Great move to inquire when interested about a possible new $$$ investment.. I’ve always said, Pellet Grills are not for everyone, especially for people that find it hard to follow directions or who are lazy when it come to just reading the Owners Manual. That said, Louisiana Grills and Pit Boss both put out quality products. The Dansons Corp. produces both brands and I know the Pit Boss brands are backed by a 5 year warranty... Most others brands are from 1-3 years warranties. If You’re interested in possibly getting the Louisiana Grills 7 Series Vertical Pellet Smoker or even the Pit Boss Copperhead 5 or 7 Series version, I would research here, Pit Boss Facebook, and all the good forum sites and pick the brains and ask the Owners that are happy with their Louisiana Grill/Pit Boss Pellet Grill experiences. They’ll be about to tell you from first hand experience on what they did to keep their grills running trouble free and what not to do too avoid issues. Often times, not always, but often times the first time Pellet Grills Owners that post about problems are the ones that didn’t follow the Owners Manual instructions and took short cuts. I’m not here trying to promote any one brand, but I can say, I’m happy with my PB Austin XL. And You know, when it comes to possibly putting out $500.00-$1000.00 plus dollars, You want to be sure you’re making the right move on that kind of investment. Good luck.. smh... I almost said P_funk3, but it’s G_funk3

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

So you can watch the first half of the cook close up and have something else to clean when you are done.

I pulled it apart and added a great bbq sauce from a local place. It turned out great.

pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19_07.jpg

pork_butt_7lb_03_15_19_08.jpg

90beater, all the pics of your bbqs looks Great!! I wasn’t trying to highjack your thread, but just trying to help a poster with questions. If possible, keep posting your experiences with your new Louisiana Grills 7 Series.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
It’s Costco. Low risk due to their generous return policy.
Sure they have a good return policy, but probably not returnable after a year if it starts having issues. I also wonder about getting replacement parts since I couldn’t even find the smoker on Louisiana’s own website.

G_funk3.. Great move to inquire when interested about a possible new $$$ investment.. I’ve always said, Pellet Grills are not for everyone, especially for people that find it hard to follow directions or who are lazy when it come to just reading the Owners Manual. That said, Louisiana Grills and Pit Boss both put out quality products. The Dansons Corp. produces both brands and I know the Pit Boss brands are backed by a 5 year warranty... Most others brands are from 1-3 years warranties. If You’re interested in possibly getting the Louisiana Grills 7 Series Vertical Pellet Smoker or even the Pit Boss Copperhead 5 or 7 Series version, I would research here, Pit Boss Facebook, and all the good forum sites and pick the brains and ask the Owners that are happy with their Louisiana Grill/Pit Boss Pellet Grill experiences. They’ll be about to tell you from first hand experience on what they did to keep their grills running trouble free and what not to do too avoid issues. Often times, not always, but often times the first time Pellet Grills Owners that post about problems are the ones that didn’t follow the Owners Manual instructions and took short cuts. I’m not here trying to promote any one brand, but I can say, I’m happy with my PB Austin XL. And You know, when it comes to possibly putting out $500.00-$1000.00 plus dollars, You want to be sure you’re making the right move on that kind of investment. Good luck.. smh... I almost said P_funk3, but it’s G_funk3

Thanks for the info, I agree. Even though it is a good deal it is still hard throwing out $500 if it ends up being a piece of junk. I currently have a small Traeger and I am looking to upgrade. I really like the cooking size of these newer cabinet looking pellet grills.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky