Corned full packer rub suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jonok

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 4, 2019
Michigan, and points north
The guy who sells me a lot of pork butts gave me a vacuum sealed 18.25# corned full packer. Obviously, I’m going to smoke it, but I’m interested in community suggestions as to how to season it. I sort of think that my usual brisket rub would not go well with the substantial salt content of the corned meat, and I was considering just doing cracked pepper. I look forward to any other/better suggestions.

I'd do a pastrami rub like this:

Makes. A bit more than half a cup, enough for a whole beef brisket about 18 pounds with some leftover

Takes. 15 minutes.

Course. Rub.

Cuisine. American.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns

2 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper

1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds

1 tablespoon coriander powder

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

Note that if you are not going to boil it, like a corned beef, then you need to think about desalinating it. Some folks don't, but I find them way too salty if you don't remove some of the salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks for the suggestion!

I was planning on 36-48 hrs in the fridge in a clean bus tray filled with water in which I had first steeped garlic, peppercorn, bay leaves, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, cloves, nutmeg and mustard seed (that's the generic corned beef spice recipe I had at hand. Of course, I'll cool the water to refrigerator temp after steeping and before I put the packer in) I figure if I've got 4-5 gallons of water, the salt should leach out pretty effectively.

ok, i had to get home to find the recipe I pulled off this site. Please i f this is yours take the cred. I didnt roast the thyme or juniper berry - I ground everything in a coffee grinder and rubbed it down. I used it on 2 Kroger corned briskets.

Rub:

2T Pepper
2T ground coriander
1T smoked paprika
2t garlic powder
2t onion powder
2t mustard
1t thyme roasted and ground
1t juniper berries roasted and ground

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky