Corned beef/pastrami burnt ends???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rdubs20

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Just picked up pre seasoned corned beef at the local store. I have never done one before. I have a some questions for y'all.

1. Soak or no soak

2. 1.5hours/pound cook at 225?

3. Anyone ever try making burnt ends out of the point? If so, how did you do it?

4. Rub or no rub? What kind?

Thanks
Rdubs

Reactions: kruizer
1) soak seems to be the consensus. I can't give you specifics on how long, but id say a minimum 2 hours with a water change at 1 hour.

2) it's done when it's done. Oh, and 225 is so overrated. Cook at at least 250-275. Some go higher. 275 is my minimum for a project like yours. Probe tender is the only thing to go by. besides, I don't know exactly the composition of your store-bought corned beef. Some are pure flat, some are pure point, and some are a rough hack job of the two together.

3) never tried it out of a pre cured point, but I read a third earlier today where a fella cubed his pastrami and found myself very interested. I guess you would cook it like any other burnt end project.

But generally burnt ends call for a bit of sauce. I suppose that is on you as to what you would sauce it with. I don't know that traditional BBQ sauce would be the right fit for this.

4) if you're going to make pastrami, then a MESS of CBP and coriander is the way to go! :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky