Cornbread Chili Casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Cornbread Chili Casserole

So I made a big pot of chili Monday night, I know everyone has their go to chili, and the way We/I do it has tomatoes and kidney beans.
And in some circles this would not be called chili. But that is how we grew up with it , and how I love it . So this is not about the fantastic
pot of chili, ha ha
But what I did with it the next day once the flavours built up. ( this was my reg just add and taste pot of food )
What I did not do but normally do ( it was late Monday ) is cook the hamburger in the smoker for more flavour. Mona was happy it was late and not cooked in the smoker.
Because she had 2 small bowls when it came off the stove, god love her

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG
4.JPG 5.JPG

Chili powder, oregano ,Italian seasoning, S+P+G powder, canned diced tomatoes, tomatoe paste, soya sauce annd this and that

6.JPG

So now today after a night in the fridge, bouncing the flavours around in the chili. I got out my little CI dishes I just picked up at the $ store ( $4 each,)
filled them up a little too high. Let them sit on the counter while I make the cornbread.
This is one of the best cornbreads I have had. And I like cornbread. Found it on "Sally's Baking Addiction " with her chili recipe, but like I said everyone has their go to recipe for chili.

7.JPG 8.JPG

The ingredients for the cornbread, out on the counter to get room temp, breads rolls and the like , mix and blend better at room temp

9.JPG
10.JPG

In a separate bowl I took enough to top the 2 dishes . Than added chopped jalapeno's and cheddar cheese, and the rest was normal so lovie would eat it , lol
Put the rest in a oiled pie plate.

11.JPG

12.JPG 13.JPG

Off to the smoker,
350+/- deg. with Mesquite for about 40 min . Did not bubble over very much. but bubbly good :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

18.JPG
16.JPG

20.JPG 21.JPG

Too good as I ate one while it was too hot , will add the recipe for the corn bread, It made a great topping for the chili, just enough heat in the Jalapeño's and the cheddar cheese was good also, on my next one in an hour or so will top with more cheese. Will add the recipe here also in case anyone would like to try. It is not as crumbly as others , has buttermilk and half cornmeal and half flour . Very nice

22.JPG 23.JPG

DSC_6406.JPG

Thanks for staying to the end.

David

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Chili just the way I like it. And then you top it with that cornbread!!!!! Took me right over the edge.
We like cornbread with our chili in my house too. But I have to make two different pans as me and the PIT (son) like it hot and SWMBO dont. And I'm digging those small cast iron pans!

Jim

Chili just the way I like it. And then you top it with that cornbread!!!!! Took me right over the edge.
We like cornbread with our chili in my house too. But I have to make two different pans as me and the PIT (son) like it hot and SWMBO dont. And I'm digging those small cast iron pans!

Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

We love chili and the same here I try not to make to hot for Mona, as I can add heat to mine if I want.
But the cornbread was all for me in the pans. That is why I added the peppers, and they were warm, lol
The pan of cornbread is good for the other person in the house.

Yes those pans are betty Crocker $4 eash at the $ store. They will be fun for individual servings , mine and hers , or mine and mine . lol

David

Reactions: JLeonard
great looking chili, I love beans in mine too and don't pay any attention to those who claim it's against the rules. and those "leftovers" look like an awesome meal also! thanks for sharing!

great looking chili, I love beans in mine too and don't pay any attention to those who claim it's against the rules. and those "leftovers" look like an awesome meal also! thanks for sharing!

Thanks tbern for the like and the comment

Yes it was hard not to eat it last night as I knew I wanted it with the cornbread. It did not stop Mona from dipping into it last night

David

Looks great David! We don't make cornbread often...usually don't think about it...usually bread or buns if anything. But I'd sure help you finish that meal off!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great David! We don't make cornbread often...usually don't think about it...usually bread or buns if anything. But I'd sure help you finish that meal off!

Ryan

Thank you Ryan for the comment

I don't make cornbread that often either, but wanted to do this on top of the chili. And there was more than the little CI pans could handle. So threw it in the pie plate . Came out very nice and not the fall apart kind either :emoji_laughing: 🤠

David

That chili looks just about the way we like it . Nice work on that . I can almost taste it .
Awesome idea with the cornbread and the cast iron bake .

Looks fantastic David, Chili around here is usually dependent on what's on hand when the craving hits.

Points for sure
Chris

I love it David! What an awesome casserole that looks incredible!! Definitely something that I’d crush while watching the snow come down and wind blow!Points!
Are you flying into Iowa today Jed? You just basically quoted our upcoming weather forecast! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Your chili looks delicious!
It is definitely chili season & we make it all the time, no recipe, just what we have on hand without going to the store.
Love the cornbread too!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky