Corn Bread (Bear’s Favorite)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Corn Bread (Bear’s Favorite)

I had to steal this Recipe from my Buddy Jim (SmokinOutBack)(AKA "Porked"), because it sounded just like what I’ve been looking for.
I was right, it is Great, so I decided to do a Step by Step of it, and Jim said I should do one (Thanks Jim).

I’ve been trying Recipes for Corn Bread for years, and none of them were what I was looking for——They were all too dry for me.
I always have to put butter on top, and heat the pieces to melt the butter.
This Recipe has plenty of butter in the mix, so none is needed to be added later.

Here is the Recipe:
2 Boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (8.5 oz each).
1 Can of Creamed Corn (about 15 oz).
6 Eggs (I used 5 because they were on the Large side).
1 Cup of Sugar.
8 oz of Sour Cream.
2 Sticks of Real Butter (Melted).

Whisk everything together in a bowl, Spray Pam in a 9” X 12” foil pan, and pour the mixture in.
Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes (Check with Toothpick).
Remove & allow to cool.
That’s Basically it——If it was hard to do, I probably wouldn’t do it.

Thanks for stopping in, and Thanks again to “SOB” too!!!

Bear

All the Ingredients used:
DSCN2327.jpg

Gotta spray your pan with “Pam” or a similar coating:
DSCN2333.jpg

I got this Mixer more that 47 years ago, and it still works Great !!!
DSCN2329.jpg

After mixing, pour into Buttered 9” X 12” Foil Pan:
DSCN2331.jpg

Remove from Oven & allow to cool:
DSCN2334.jpg

Closer look, with 2 pieces missing:
DSCN2339.jpg

Test piece—Best I ever ate:
DSCN2340.jpg

While making the Corn Bread, we had some Visitors (Picture taken from Bear's Bedroom Window):
DSCN2326.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Job, You make yours on the sweet side. Corn Bread down this way is a staple,  Love the Turkey Pics

I used to go turkey hunting, I got to where I was a pretty good caller.

Mighty tasty looking, all you need now is a pot of beans and some good green onions !!  What !!!  
thumb1%20copy.gif

points1.png

Gary

Cream corn is what makes it. I basically make it the same sometimes throwing in some minced jalapenos or hab's for a kick. Enjoy, I know you will. Hey, I got the same mixer but mines only 31 years old. Hope it'll last as long as yours.

Hey Bear, I forgot to ask, What flavor pellets did you use when you smoked it ?  
biggrin.gif

Gary

Nice Job, You make yours on the sweet side. Corn Bread down this way is a staple,  Love the Turkey Pics

I used to go turkey hunting, I got to where I was a pretty good caller.

Mighty tasty looking, all you need now is a pot of beans and some good green onions !!  What !!!  
thumb1%20copy.gif

points1.png

Gary
Thanks Gary!!

Like I said, "This is the first time I used this recipe, and it's the first recipe I used that we liked".

I think the Turkeys smelled it, and showed up for Dinner!

And Thanks for the Points!

Bear

Cream corn is what makes it. I basically make it the same sometimes throwing in some minced jalapenos or hab's for a kick. Enjoy, I know you will. Hey, I got the same mixer but mines only 31 years old. Hope it'll last as long as yours.
Thanks Wimpy!!

I'd love to add some Jalapeños, but my Mixer would probably quit on me, and I'd have to eat all the Corn Bread by myself !!

Bear

That was a pretty big pan for the two of you. I'm thinking one of them Turkey's and Corn Bread Stuffing would help with leftovers. My MIL introduced me to creamed corn in Jiffy 30 years ago. Great post! I spend a lot of time oin GA, OK and TX. I love Southern food but never understood the affinity for crumbly corn bread...JJ

You know the best cornbread money shots have a slice cut out.

My cornbread is not nearly as sweet as almost anyone else's. Usually I make this as muffins (6) instead of a loaf. This is the basic recipe:

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup flour

1 level tsp salt

1 level tsp baking powder

1 (or 2) tsp sugar, pref. brown

Sift these together through a sieve, mix, and set aside. Now for the wet half:

1 egg

1/2 cup milk (or buttermilk)

1/4 - 1/2 oil or butter, to taste, I go more toward 1/4

Crack the egg first in case it's bad or to avoid having to find shell fragments in milk. Scramble the egg. Measure your preferred amount of oil, add it to the egg, then measure the milk. This is a trick: the milk tends to make the residual oil float up into the milk. Pour that in, and mix well (I prefer a whisk as you show). Now you can add goodies like berries or corn or peppers if you like.

Now before wet and dry are combined, the clock hasn't started yet. Now you can preheat the oven, oil the pan, have a smoke and play Twister with the spouse while the oven heats up.

Put your clothes back on, and pour the wet half into the dry half. Now comes the great mixing controversy: Everyone says don't mix it too much, just fold it, or else you won't get crumbly bread. (I say cornbread can be too crumbly and I don't like it when I take a bite and it disintegrates. Go get broom.) I mix it to a uniform texture and pour into whatever prepared utensil. I usually give muffins about 400F and keep a close eye as they rise. When the tops just begin to brown, I remove them and let them rest. Blueberry version here:

Last edited:
Great looking cornbread, Bear. My mom used to make a cornbread when we were growing up but she called it Johnny Cake. I still think of her when I make cornbread or I see a post like this.

Points for taking me back!

Disco

That would be a shame, wouldn't it. Pass the butter and crack a cold one.
LOL---Yup!!

Bear

That was a pretty big pan for the two of you. I'm thinking one of them Turkey's and Corn Bread Stuffing would help with leftovers. My MIL introduced me to creamed corn in Jiffy 30 years ago. Great post! I spend a lot of time oin GA, OK and TX. I love Southern food but never understood the affinity for crumbly corn bread...JJ
Thanks a Bunch, Jimmy!!!

I don't mind sweet or not sweet---What I don't like is "Too Dry" like all the other ones I tried in the past.  This one is Perfect !!!

The Recipes I didn't like came from the North & the South, and one came from my Buddy in Tahiti.

BTW: You're right about it being a little big for the two of us. I almost had to freeze some, but since Mrs Bear started helping, it looks like we'll get it consumed before it turns.

Bear

Dang it Bear that looks great, Nice job,,,,Nice mixer too,, 

Yep bout turkey season here also, will be trying my luck with a bow this yr

Great job and nice post.

DS

You know the best cornbread money shots have a slice cut out.

My cornbread is not nearly as sweet as almost anyone else's. Usually I make this as muffins (6) instead of a loaf.

Great looking cornbread, Bear. My mom used to make a cornbread when we were growing up but she called it Johnny Cake. I still think of her when I make cornbread or I see a post like this.

Points for taking me back!

Disco
Thank You Disco!!

And Thanks for the Points!

Bear

I see I am late again,that is a nice looking pan of corn bread,I may have to try a half batch,so use to mixing the box and baking in a CI Pan Thanks Bear

Richie

points.gif

Dang it Bear that looks great, Nice job,,,,Nice mixer too,, 

Yep bout turkey season here also, will be trying my luck with a bow this yr

Great job and nice post.

DS

Thanks DS !!

My Son shot a few with his Bow, but never around here.

The only thing good to eat on them is the Breast. IMHO

Bear

I see I am late again,that is a nice looking pan of corn bread,I may have to try a half batch,so use to mixing the box and baking in a CI Pan Thanks Bear

Richie

points.gif
Thank You Richie!!

And Thanks for the Points!!

Bear

John sorry but them birds are the best eating Smoked Turkey I ever had,oh and the soup is to die for

​Richie Jealous they are not in my freezer oops I mean yard

Ive been hunting for a good cornbread recipe for a while now, my wife and I even went to 3 different grocery stores and bought all of the different types of premixed stuff between all of them (1 box of each kind we could find), and tried half a batch of each the way the recipe says, then the other half we mixed in some fresh corn, and some yellow cake batter. None of the results turned out as good as i wanted to find, but reading this recipe i think you might have just made my day!

Not sure if any of Ya'll have a restaurant called "Paradise Bakery" in your areas, but they make the most amazing cornbread muffins and that's what i was shooting for, like you said Bear ones that i could eat without loading on a ton of butter to moisten it up, and i also never considered using creamed corn instead of whole, so that sounds awesome too.

Anyway that overly long explanation aside, ill give these a try this weekend and let you know what i think. I just really love cornbread, but ive never made any that ive been happy with yet.

John sorry but them birds are the best eating Smoked Turkey I ever had,oh and the soup is to die for

​Richie Jealous they are not in my freezer oops I mean yard

Yup---The Breasts are real good smoked or roasted, but the legs are almost all slivers of non-edible bone-like material with a little meat in between---Maybe if you have a pressure cooker, you could salvage some meat from the legs. The Heart & Gizzard are excellent too!!

Bear 

Ive been hunting for a good cornbread recipe for a while now, my wife and I even went to 3 different grocery stores and bought all of the different types of premixed stuff between all of them (1 box of each kind we could find), and tried half a batch of each the way the recipe says, then the other half we mixed in some fresh corn, and some yellow cake batter. None of the results turned out as good as i wanted to find, but reading this recipe i think you might have just made my day!

Not sure if any of Ya'll have a restaurant called "Paradise Bakery" in your areas, but they make the most amazing cornbread muffins and that's what i was shooting for, like you said Bear ones that i could eat without loading on a ton of butter to moisten it up, and i also never considered using creamed corn instead of whole, so that sounds awesome too.

Anyway that overly long explanation aside, ill give these a try this weekend and let you know what i think. I just really love cornbread, but ive never made any that ive been happy with yet.
Sounds like you've been in the same boat with me on having trouble finding a Corn Bread recipe that you like. Maybe this one will be the one for you too.

Let me know.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky