Cooking Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

southsider

Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
Bloomington, MN
Hello all, got a question:

I bought a 6 pound pork shoulder roast, when I went took it out of the package, it was in 2 pieces. My question is would I base the smoking time on 6 lbs, or 3lbs being that it really 2 small roasts? I know the temp says when it is done, but seeing it was in 2 pieces got me thinking about my question. Another way of asking the question would be...when smoking multiple roast that are the same thing in one smoker, would you base the time on the total wieght of all of them, or each one individually ?

Last edited:
Hello all, got a question:

I bought a 6 pound pork shoulder roast, when I went took it out of the package, it was in 2 pieces. My question is would I base the smoking time on 6 lbs, or 3lbs being that it really 2 small roasts? I know the temp says when it is done, but seeing it was in 2 pieces got me thinking about my question. Another way of asking the question would be...when smoking multiple roast that are the same thing in one smoker, would you base the time on the total wieght of all of them, or each one individually ?
I guess you could tie ít and smoke it whole. If the pieces are the same weight and size, the two pieces would cook longer than if it was 3lbs and shorter than if it was 6lbs. Pretend it's 4.5lb. The most I've cooked at once is four slabs of back ribs on the top two racks. Someone else could give a better answer on a full smoker.
-Kurt

Total Time is based on the weight of the largest piece of pork. Say you have 3 roasts, 6,8 and10 pound. The time is not 24 pounds times 2hrs/lb at 225 degrees. You Estimate on the 10 pounder as the 6 and 8 will be done sooner. Same here not 6lb (12 hours) figure 3lbs X 2 hours per pound = 6 hours for both, barring long stalls or other issues...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky