Cooking barbecue vs. restaurant barbecue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
I find going going to barbecue restaurants is not what I like. I've been to high end places and greasy barbecue joints. For me, a big part of the experience is making it. Talking to the butcher, trimming and prepping, sometimes lighting a chimney of briquettes at 2AM, babysitting meat for 16 hours is enjoyable and at least as good as eating it. Am I the only one? Ten bucks says I'm not.

I agree. But, put your brisket in the smoker around 2-3 pm, wrap around 10 and finish at 225 in the oven. No all-nighter required. Rest/hold around 6-7 am and slice at 11, just like a restaurant.

Reactions: chopsaw
I would like to go out to other barbecue places, problem is 95% of the time the food is not to the quality that we cook. To me, barbecue/smoked foods are made to be consumed around the time that it is done/ready. Many times that is not possible in restaurants, they have to have that food ready at opening time, and also 3-5 hrs later.

I don't like anything about 2am. Where do I collect my $10?
Displaced Texan agreed with me, I only needed one agreement. Not my favorite then to get up at 130 to start the smoker at 2, but when the neighbor in the morning asked "What the hell was all the fire and smoke at 2 friggin' AM?" and I invite him over for the brisket at 5PM, it's all worthwhile.

Displaced Texan agreed with me, I only needed one agreement. Not my favorite then to get up at 130 to start the smoker at 2, but when the neighbor in the morning asked "What the hell was all the fire and smoke at 2 friggin' AM?" and I invite him over for the brisket at 5PM, it's all worthwhile.
You might consider my method I just used on a brisket from yesterday. Sliced it at 11 am this morning. So good.

I would like to go out to other barbecue places, problem is 95% of the time the food is not to the quality that we cook. To me, barbecue/smoked foods are made to be consumed around the time that it is done/ready. Many times that is not possible in restaurants, they have to have that food ready at opening time, and also 3-5 hrs later.
A barbecue restaurant near me that is very popular made the mistake of going on TV and showing the "barbecue" is made in the oven, and "finished" on a wood fire for 10 minutes. My theory is an actual barbecue joint must be able to run out of something. You can't just make more at 5PM.

Reactions: LoydB
Lol I'm just messing around with you bud. We have alot of pretty good bbq joints around where I live.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
We have some good spots here too .
Are at my favorite today for lunch and it was mighty good. And quick !
But I do enjoy the long cooks on the weekends for family.....well most of the family 🤣.
I really want a stick burner but too old to tend a 🔥 all night.

Keith

Our best place costs me close to $200 for 4 people with drinks and dessert. I keep telling myself it would be cheaper to hunt down a Wagyu brisket, soak some dried beans, and make a big pan of Alton Brown cornbread slathered in honey butter. And, I’d have leftovers for days.

Reactions: 801driver
I've only been to 1 BBQ restaurant that appealed to me. Most are very bland, on smoke and seasoning, and even meat quality. Sadly, when you provide stellar food, it's too flavorful and people say the $hit hole over where ever is the standard. Quality takes time.

Oh yes, I know what you mean. Cooking meat is a special ritual in our family. When we gather with friends or relatives for a barbecue party, one of the experienced men takes over the BBQ duties. Of course, the meat always turns out perfectly cooked and has the characteristic smell of a fire. Restaurants cannot always have the right conditions to create a campfire aroma from the meat, you know. But I've been to a füssen restaurant that makes good barbeque smell great and taste perfect. I think this restaurant's kitchen has a stove or charcoal grill that can create a unique campfire meat effect. You may have heard about it from your friends. It's a popular place. There's a bar there.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky