Cooked and vac sealed meat, how long viable at room temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I'm wondering how long cooked and vac sealed meat remains safe to eat at room temp?

The danger of room temp is bacteria growth and lots of bacteria like an oxygen-free environment. I think that unless you have a way to prevent bacteria and/or bacteria spores from getting on the meat between the time you remove it from the 140°F or hotter cooker and when you seal it, the safe-to-eat time is the same as having it sitting covered at room temp: 4 hours.

Reactions: Colin1230 and dr k
Cooked to around 200, sliced at around 140 in the fridge at something below 100 then 10 slices per bag vac sealed and in the deep freeze - 4 degrees.
Thawed in fridge, still in fridge.
Just wondering how it would travel out of the fridge but still vac sealed.

I'd keep it in a cooler below 40° for the trip regardless of if its cooked or not.

Reactions: dr k
While vac sealing gives you longer frozen storage times, it doesn't offer any safety measures at room temps or above.

Bacteria and temp go hand in hand. The freezer is you friend. Once thawed, use it quickly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky