Container garden

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I live in Tx where it gets Hot! I have done the Container garden and you have to water every day. I mainly want herbs and some peppers. Looking for ideas?

Reactions: JLeonard
I do container gardening too, and use a drip system on a sprinkler timer. You do have to sometimes adjust the schedule, depending on large changes in temp, but it mostly keeps things alive without worry.

Ive been looking at the container garden thing also. Dont have a big back yard but want some fresh veggies. Have you looked at DIY self watering containers.

These are what im looking at doing.
Jim

Reactions: Fueling Around
I have raised planters. I've tried containers. There is just no way around watering every day.
Part of the garden game.
Everytime I see how much herbs cost to buy I say I will just grow them. Then after you buy everything you need to grow I say would just be cheaper to buy them.

Reactions: FowlAntics
I live in Tx where it gets Hot! I have done the Container garden and you have to water every day. I mainly want herbs and some peppers. Looking for ideas?
Look into Dutch buckets. Been using them to grow hot peppers for a couple of years now and Ive had no trouble with very satisfying results.
20200719_084408.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: texomakid
Hi Brian: i have made a few planters that are self watering for customers of mine 2 were all cedar , and the other guy wanted 8 here are a couple pictures. One you fill them they are pretty self sufficient. They also have a overflow if it does happen to rain. Here is also i link to a page that describes how to make them . Of coarse i changed it for my liking

www.familyhandyman.com/project/build-your-own-self-watering-planter/

David

Attachments

• DSC_0215.JPG
    DSC_0215.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0221.JPG
    DSC_0221.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0223.JPG
    DSC_0223.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0313.JPG
    DSC_0313.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0341.JPG
    DSC_0341.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 46
Everytime I see how much herbs cost to buy I say I will just grow them. Then after you buy everything you need to grow I say would just be cheaper to buy them.
Depends on what herbs you use a lot. We use a lot of Parsley and Chives. Plant a couple of Parsley plants in the spring and you can go snip some fresh all summer long into the fall. Parsley is pretty durable. Chives will take over your yard if you're not careful and come back every year. I have Sage and Thyme that comes back every year but we don't really use them much. Like I said; how much do you really use fresh herbs?

Ive been looking at the container garden thing also. Dont have a big back yard but want some fresh veggies. Have you looked at DIY self watering containers.

Jim

Jim has a good one there they work very well. I built my father a bunch of these and used the same system for some 5 gal buckets and he used to grow more produce than they could eat. The next big thing he hit me with was how to trellis the tomato plants because they were getting 10-12' high and he refused to plant determinate varieties because he liked the ones he had used in the past but they never grew this well before so never had to trellis them that high. While figuring, figure out how to trellis cucumbers they grow great vertically I ended up dropping a couple 4x4's in then running 2x4 welded wire between them when the cucumbers got about 10' up I'd go over and turn them back down. They never got back down and have to turn them up again but I have had them do it in my hydroponic system. Also a system to stake up eggplant if you decide to plant any his would normally get 6-8' high.
Brian we did put dad's containers where they would get sun about 1/2 the day then shaded as the afternoon went on. The other thing you could consider is putting up some shade cloth to help lessen the suns effects some of the big box stores are starting to carry some I buy them elsewhere for my high tunnels and get 40-50% and that is not to much in the summer in north FL I'm just north of I-10

Watching this thread.
I live up nord. Don't have the heat issues (usually) but water bill can kill me in rainless summers.
Got an oak tree coming down that shades the garden way too long in the morning.

Will be leaving the north for Florida retirement in a few years.

Jim
Great link.
Hi Brian: i have made a few planters that are self watering for customers of mine 2 were all cedar , and the other guy wanted 8 here are a couple pictures. One you fill them they are pretty self sufficient. They also have a overflow if it does happen to rain. Here is also i link to a page that describes how to make them . Of coarse i changed it for my liking

www.familyhandyman.com/project/build-your-own-self-watering-planter/

David
Nice looking planters.
Thanks for the link.

I did container gardening the last 3 years. This year I went hydroponically. 5 gallon buckets painted a light color to keep the heat down but black underneath to keep the light out. I’m using the Kratky method. It’s basically a “set it and forget it” method. Lots of videos on YouTube. I’ve got 68 plants started as of now. You can use large mason jars for herbs, or put three plants in one 5 gallon bucket.
here’s a shot of my setup so far.

Attachments

• D7C14F98-F5AC-4916-A046-048529E59FBF.jpeg
    D7C14F98-F5AC-4916-A046-048529E59FBF.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 37
  • A944C0D8-BD2A-4918-9BCA-A975685C1502.jpeg
    A944C0D8-BD2A-4918-9BCA-A975685C1502.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 33
Watching this thread.
I live up nord. Don't have the heat issues (usually) but water bill can kill me in rainless summers.
Got an oak tree coming down that shades the garden way too long in the morning.

Will be leaving the north for Florida retirement in a few years.
Great link.

Nice looking planters.
Thanks for the link.

What part of Florida or have you decided yet?

I also forgot to say in the summer dad usually had to fill the containers with water once a day or once every two days depending on how hot the temps were and how bright the sun was. He lived in central FL and planted more cold hardy type plants in the winter.

I did container gardening the last 3 years. This year I went hydroponically. 5 gallon buckets painted a light color to keep the heat down but black underneath to keep the light out. I’m using the Kratky method. It’s basically a “set it and forget it” method. Lots of videos on YouTube. I’ve got 68 plants started as of now. You can use large mason jars for herbs, or put three plants in one 5 gallon bucket.
here’s a shot of my setup so far.

All that for a few veggies and "herbs"? 😉😂
Sweet set up!!!

Jim has a good one there they work very well. I built my father a bunch of these and used the same system for some 5 gal buckets and he used to grow more produce than they could eat. The next big thing he hit me with was how to trellis the tomato plants because they were getting 10-12' high and he refused to plant determinate varieties because he liked the ones he had used in the past but they never grew this well before so never had to trellis them that high. While figuring, figure out how to trellis cucumbers they grow great vertically I ended up dropping a couple 4x4's in then running 2x4 welded wire between them when the cucumbers got about 10' up I'd go over and turn them back down. They never got back down and have to turn them up again but I have had them do it in my hydroponic system. Also a system to stake up eggplant if you decide to plant any his would normally get 6-8' high.
Brian we did put dad's containers where they would get sun about 1/2 the day then shaded as the afternoon went on. The other thing you could consider is putting up some shade cloth to help lessen the suns effects some of the big box stores are starting to carry some I buy them elsewhere for my high tunnels and get 40-50% and that is not to much in the summer in north FL I'm just north of I-10
Great point about trellis. First year I was completely caught off guard by what happened. I did not expect the growth and yields I experienced, so was not prepared for the weight. Also worth mentioning, if you are going to grow tomatoes do not choose anything with goliath or big boy in the name for a "small" operation.

I only get about a half day. I am looking into this.

Great point about trellis. First year I was completely caught off guard by what happened. I did not expect the growth and yields I experienced, so was not prepared for the weight. Also worth mentioning, if you are going to grow tomatoes do not choose anything with goliath or big boy in the name for a "small" operation.

You nailed that one had to grow those better boy and big boy tomatoes

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks like you still need add water everyday?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky