Completely new to smoking!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hallm317

Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Hi all! I live in the surrounding area of Knoxville, TN and have always been a fan of smoked bbq. After trying some of my buddies BBQ off of his pellet smoker I decided to take a leap of faith and get an offset smoker. A Dyna-Glo offset wide body to be exact. It was extremely affordable as I got it used and it came with a handy Big Green Egg wireless thermometer. I read almost all 28 pages of discussion about the smoker and did a few of the mods that were recommended and today I am trying my first run! Nothing too crazy just some chicken breasts to see how I could hold the temp. So far so good, here is to hoping this goes well and my wife signs off on what I hope will be a fun hobby!

Good luck on the cook and congratulations. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome, live close to Knoxville and work thru there every day lol

Reactions: Hallm317
Good for you for doing the research first. to be quite honest your chicken breast may or may not turn out satisfactory. Don't blame that on your smoker, your skill or on the chicken breast.

Honestly chicken breast is best cured then smoked.

give your smoker and all of your knowledge and research another shot with something like pork butt or brisket or any number of things. Even if it is whole chickens.

Good for you for doing the research first. to be quite honest your chicken breast may or may not turn out satisfactory. Don't blame that on your smoker, your skill or on the chicken breast.

Honestly chicken breast is best cured then smoked.

give your smoker and all of your knowledge and research another shot with something like pork butt or brisket or any number of things. Even if it is whole chickens.
The chicken breast came out with great flavor just a little dry. I should have remembered to put a water pan I. There to keep moisture in the air. I pulled them out the minute they hit 160 but the thinner parts were already over done. Incredible smoke flavor and a decent rub on them. Overall I would say my first smoke went well. Minor adjustments here and there and some refueling but I would say smooth overall.

Reactions: fivetricks
Hope your brisket came out good! What method did you use?
I used an Masterbuilt electric smoker. Turned out with good flavor. Just cooked a little too long I think. Stalled around 160°. Wrapped in foil at that point and put back in. Pulled at 195 after a friend's advice and rested for 90 minutes. Probably should've pulled at 185.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky