Competition Practice Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cobrafnd

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Smoked a couple slabs of spares Saturday for practice for a competition in a couple weeks. Color is a little dark, and my rub I use has a chunky texture to it. I ran some of it through a coffee grinder yesterday to grind it to powder for appearance.

CompPractice.jpg
CompPractice2.jpg

I’d eat it. Good job! I do see the texture of the rub, it draws the eyes when looking at the ribs. The coffee grinder was a good idea to fix that.

Pretty good for a run through. What comp are you going to be in?

It is just a small local KCBS Comp in Hattiesburg, MS. I have never done one before. I entered the Backyard division, so that I could hang out and watch the whole process with the Pro guys. At the moment, they don't have enough people entered to do the backyard division, so not sure what I will do if that doesn't make. Supposed to go down the weekend of 17th-18th.

How did the temp probe turn out and what temp did you take it off

How did the temp probe turn out and what temp did you take it off

I was just using that to see what happened, so I could have it graphed on my fireboard for reference. I ran them open smoke for 3 hours with the probe in, and then wrapped them both (170 degrees when wrapped). One I left wrapped for an hour, and the other I left wrapped for 2 hours. both of them followed up by 30 min open smoke and sauced.

With that being said, I did not monitor the temps after the initial 3 hours. The ones that were wrapped an hour, were perfect bite through. The ones that were wrapped 2 hours were over done for competition standards, but they were how I would want them if I was cooking them for home.

Reactions: flatbroke
It is just a small local KCBS Comp in Hattiesburg, MS. I have never done one before. I entered the Backyard division, so that I could hang out and watch the whole process with the Pro guys. At the moment, they don't have enough people entered to do the backyard division, so not sure what I will do if that doesn't make. Supposed to go down the weekend of 17th-18th.

Hopefully enough people sign up so you aren't left hanging. When me and my friend did our first comp they did not offer a backyard division. We just jumped in feet first and went for the whole comp. Is that something you would consider if they cancel the backyard division?

Hopefully enough people sign up so you aren't left hanging. When me and my friend did our first comp they did not offer a backyard division. We just jumped in feet first and went for the whole comp. Is that something you would consider if they cancel the backyard division?

Not the one in 2 weeks. I have never cooked a brisket before. I have cooked a lot of things, but never a brisket. So without ever doing one before, don't want comp. to be the first time. I will probably do one in a few weeks, just to see how it turns out.

Last edited:
Not the one in 2 weeks. I have never cooked a brisket before. I have cook a lot of things, but never a brisket. So without ever doing on before, don't want comp. to be the first time. I will probably do one in a few weeks, just to see how it turns out.

Too funny. We had never done a brisket before either. Also at the time we had never fully cooked a pork butt completely on the smoker either. Had always finished it in the oven.

Those ribs look super tasty. I know for a competition you want a finer powdered rub for a smoother finish, but outside of competition I think the texture looks good on the ribs. It makes the look really pop. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: cobrafnd
Smoked a couple slabs of spares Saturday for practice for a competition in a couple weeks. Color is a little dark, and my rub I use has a chunky texture to it. I ran some of it through a coffee grinder yesterday to grind it to powder for appearance.

View attachment 372992 View attachment 372993
I'm a KCBS judge and those 4 ribs on the plate look competition ready. Be sure you have at least 6 in your turn-in box! Good luck and above all, have fun. That's what it's all about.

I'm a KCBS judge and those 4 ribs on the plate look competition ready. Be sure you have at least 6 in your turn-in box! Good luck and above all, have fun. That's what it's all about.

Same here....look pretty good. Careful not to apply too much sauce, last comp I just judged both ribs and chicken all had way too much sauce on them, other judges at my table not happy as it seemed all you tasted was bbq sauce and not so much of the meat.

Same here....look pretty good. Careful not to apply too much sauce, last comp I just judged both ribs and chicken all had way too much sauce on them, other judges at my table not happy as it seemed all you tasted was bbq sauce and not so much of the meat.

Thanks, I was going to thin it down a little next time. I am in South Mississippi though, everything here is sweet or fried. lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky