Combo Smoking Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

riccasmoker16

Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Hi All, I am looking for some tips in combo smoking, Is there a general rule of thumb when smoking pork/beef with poultry? I figured it would be a good idea to smoke a chicken for leftovers or sandwiches during the week while I have ribs going for dinner. I have a WSM 18" and just don't know what kind of heat to use, if the chicken should be on the top rack or bottom or if even a good idea. I'm very new to this and any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

I think I would put the chicken on the top rack, because it will take less time to cook.

There is no safety problem with chicken dripping on the ribs.

I would run your smoker around 250. You won't get crispy skin, but you can take the chicken off early & finish it on a grill or in the oven to crisp up the skin.

Al

Thank you Al! I think the poultry drippings were most of my concern. The safety of it as well as the possible flavor effect it may have with the pork/beef. Thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky