Cold smoking some Cheese & Garlic today!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TSR6

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Just wanted to share - I have both Sharp Cheddar and Mozzarella for cheeses, and then some garlic cloves on the smoker today set to cold smoke.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG-1624.JPG
    IMG-1624.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 43
My understanding is that I need to vac seal these with the food saver and wait 2-3 weeks before eating them for the cheeses. It'll be a long wait.

At least I have some 5 and 7 year cheeses in the fridge (not smoked) to hold me over.

My understanding is that I need to vac seal these with the food saver and wait 2-3 weeks before eating them for the cheeses. It'll be a long wait.

At least I have some 5 and 7 year cheeses in the fridge (not smoked) to hold me over.

:eek::D

Probably let it sit in the fridge uncovered too long overnight - the cheddar dried out and cracked. The Moz is fine. Still vac packed it, and will check it out in about 2 weeks

Looks good, I'm surprised the cheddar dried out and cracked especially if was just a sharp cheddar. I've seen that happen with some of the extra extra sharp but never with just sharp.

I let mine sit loosely covered with plastic wrap on a cooling rack in the fridge overnight before vacuum sealing. How'd the garlic turn out? Curious if it took on any smokiness.

Chris

Looks good, I'm surprised the cheddar dried out and cracked especially if was just a sharp cheddar. I've seen that happen with some of the extra extra sharp but never with just sharp.

I let mine sit loosely covered with plastic wrap on a cooling rack in the fridge overnight before vacuum sealing. How'd the garlic turn out? Curious if it took on any smokiness.

Chris

I'll know on the garlic in a couple days. I just wanted to do it now since I had the cheese (which was on super sale) to try too.

I didnt have them covered at all - I probably should have just let them sit for 2-3 hours instead of overnight. The Moz didn't crack at all, just the cheddar. Who knows. It's my first shot, so it's not like I expected everything to be perfect. lol

Not much cheese there. Better smoke some more right now. That won't last long!

I'm anxious, too, to find out how the garlic turned out. Never thought of that!

CAM00793.jpg

Sam's has these peeled raw garlic cloves and at 225* for 3 hours on a Qmatz they get a nice color. It gets softer inside after 3 hours like spreadable roasted garlic in a paintball soft shell and is a carmelized smoked garlic raisin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky